Navigation cluster, pointer mapping off register?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Navigation cluster, pointer mapping off register?

Post by NormandC »

garya wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:09 pm when I press on the middle of the navigation cube, it does not move until the pointer leaves the cube. So it appears to not be moveable unless you move the mouse a significant distance.
Same for me, it's like a "sticky" effect, maybe to prevent moving it by accident when you keep the mouse button pressed just a tad too long?

garya wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:09 pm There is an obvious circle in the middle of the cube, which is used to set one of several axonometric views depending on the current orientation of the object. If you are already looking at that axonometric view, the area appears to be non-functional. Similarly, if a single face is showing, the face appears to have no function, and I still need to drag to the edge of the cube to get it to move.
I'm not sure I'm following you. What's that circle you're talking about?

Maybe there's some misconception here. You can't actually rotate the 3D view by rotating the cube. You can't rotate the cube by itself. You can only click on one of the visible cube's face to reorient the 3D view. The cube gets rotated when you rotate the 3D view with the mouse.

Unless I misunderstood what you were saying.

garya wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:09 pm A clear distinction can usually be made in terms of intent when a user presses and drags, vs. clicks (presses and releases) a mouse button (Modulo some small delta to allow for shaky hands). That distinction is apparently not being used for navigation with the nav cube.
Agreed. When you press and hold the left mouse button on the cube, the mouse pointer should change to a hand like other software do.

garya wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:09 pm To be clear on the registration issue: If you place the pointer where it is in the image below, do you see a blue or a white background in the curved arrow under the pointer, and if you click does the 3D image rotate? In my case, the background is white, not blue, and the image does not rotate. Note that the pointer is well within the underlying arrow image;
I confirm. To enable the curved arrow, my mouse pointer's tip needs to be right in the arrow's axis, or lower; or the arrow will be inactive. It looks like if you trace a centre line on the arrow's axis, the outer region of the arrow is inactive, while the inner region works.

FC018_NavCube_active_arrow_01.png
FC018_NavCube_active_arrow_01.png (6.79 KiB) Viewed 1623 times
garya

Post by garya »

NormandC wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:50 pm
garya wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:09 pm when I press on the middle of the navigation cube, it does not move until the pointer leaves the cube. So it appears to not be moveable unless you move the mouse a significant distance.
Same for me, it's like a "sticky" effect, maybe to prevent moving it by accident when you keep the mouse button pressed just a tad too long?
Could be, but I think it's because there is no distinction being made between a click and move. It's waiting until you are outside of the cube entirely.
garya wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:09 pm There is an obvious circle in the middle of the cube, which is used to set one of several axonometric views depending on the current orientation of the object. If you are already looking at that axonometric view, the area appears to be non-functional. Similarly, if a single face is showing, the face appears to have no function, and I still need to drag to the edge of the cube to get it to move.
I'm not sure I'm following you. What's that circle you're talking about?
If you have the actual object oriented in an axonometric view, then move your mouse over the middle of the nav cluster cube, you will see a blue circle. The blue circle represents the vertex at the corner of the nav cube; clicking on it re-orients the 3D view to one of the axonometric views; not sure how it determines which one as I haven't looked at it that closely yet and I'm at least a little 3D visualization impaired :-). The circle is not always in the center of the nav cube as seen on the display; it's where the vertex is on the nav cube. So in some orientations there are two or four ellipses visible at the edges of the nav cube, allowing you to switch to one of several different axonometric views. If a single face is facing you directly, there is one at each corner. If an edge is facing you, there are eight possibilities. Clicking on any of them will get you an axonometric view.

NormandC wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:50 pm Maybe there's some misconception here. You can't actually rotate the 3D view by rotating the cube. You can't rotate the cube by itself. You can only click on one of the visible cube's face to reorient the 3D view. The cube gets rotated when you rotate the 3D view with the mouse.
Yes, bad wording on my part.
garya wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:09 pm A clear distinction can usually be made in terms of intent when a user presses and drags, vs. clicks (presses and releases) a mouse button (Modulo some small delta to allow for shaky hands). That distinction is apparently not being used for navigation with the nav cube.
Agreed. When you press and hold the left mouse button on the cube, the mouse pointer should change to a hand like other software do.
Ah. You're talking about a related issue, the duration between the press and the release, another way to distinguish a move from a click. That would be helpful.
garya wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:09 pm To be clear on the registration issue: If you place the pointer where it is in the image below, do you see a blue or a white background in the curved arrow under the pointer, and if you click does the 3D image rotate? In my case, the background is white, not blue, and the image does not rotate. Note that the pointer is well within the underlying arrow image;
I confirm. To enable the curved arrow, my mouse pointer's tip needs to be right in the arrow's axis, or lower; or the arrow will be inactive. It looks like if you trace a centre line on the arrow's axis, the outer region of the arrow is inactive, while the inner region works.
[/quote]
Yes, that's what I'm guessing also, which is why I thought is was a "registration" issue.
garya

Post by garya »

First cut at doc Navigation_Cube
If that's not how it works, let me know...
If anyone cares to point me at the code which implements it, I will see if I can understand it enough to fix some things.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I think it's in /src/Gui/NaviCube.cpp

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... viCube.cpp

We should create a ticket about this: not wide enough active area for arrows, and also, the mouse pointer should turn into a grabbing hand when moving it.
garya

Post by garya »

NormandC wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:15 pm I think it's in /src/Gui/NaviCube.cpp

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... viCube.cpp

We should create a ticket about this: not wide enough active area for arrows, and also, the mouse pointer should turn into a grabbing hand when moving it.
It appears to be fixed in the version I just built.
garya

Post by garya »

garya wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:25 am It appears to be fixed in the version I just built.
Ugh, no it's not.
garya

Post by garya »

Bug reported issue #0003843
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Great, thanks.