Fasteners Workbench thread and head scaling

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Fasteners Workbench thread and head scaling

Post by chrisb »

MostlyHarmless wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:47 pm don't know what slicer you are using, but Cura has settings to force a minimum time per layer. It is actually a whole slew of options. It can slow down the print or it can retract filament, lift extruder and wait.
Cura is my slicer and I used these settings. For the second example I had set the minimum time but missed the minimum slow down speed and the "lift head" parameter, so it was still too soft.
For the last example I didn't dare to use the "lift head" because I was afraid of the defects due to stop and restart of the print. And it would have taken 45 minutes instead of 10.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
ICWiz

Post by ICWiz »

Ive been working on a 3D printer project. Im making a filament reel hub. It has two parts that screw together in the center. I used an M42 tap and cut it out of the center shape. For the male end, i converted the tap to a "course" mesh using the mesh workbench.

Then i used mesh lab to rescale the mesh in the x and y by 0.97. Then i export this back into my Freecad project, turned the mesh into a shape and then into a solid. This way i can incorporate that slightly smaller screw size for the male part.

Just thought I would share that in case it helps anyone.

--ICWiz
shaise

Post by shaise »

I plan, hopefully soon, to have a preference checkbox that will generate the screw threads to be 3D printer compatible.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi shaise,
shaise wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:03 am ping
could you plase have a look to a little other prob to:

At an other thread (cant find it atm) you wrote, that the screw diameter will be set to the next smaller (fitting) diameter as the hole diameter.
But it dosn't... If i have a hole with 6,2mm diameter and the edge of it, the insertet screw (also a washer) has a diameter of 8mm.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.15592 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: a7c0f4bc5b62ec304a5855796ca3d10a42c7a46e
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
Gruß Herbert
shaise

Post by shaise »

There are 2 options: 1 select next smaller diameter, 2 select next bigger (assuming this hole is supposed to be tapped)
At the toolbar there are 2 buttons to change from mode 1 to 2
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

shaise wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:50 am There are 2 options: 1 select next smaller diameter, 2 select next bigger (assuming this hole is supposed to be tapped)
At the toolbar there are 2 buttons to change from mode 1 to 2
That makes no different, i always got the next bigger one.
Gruß Herbert
shaise

Post by shaise »

you are right. there is a bug. will check
shaise

Post by shaise »

It should be fixed now. please update, check and let me know
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

shaise wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:31 pm It should be fixed now. please update, check and let me know
Yes, now it works, - thank you very much.
Gruß Herbert
shaise

Post by shaise »

Hi Everyone,

Due to repeated requests I have decided to implement MostlyHarmless's feature in order to 3D print functional screws and nuts. Instead of doing it as a property of each fastener, I have added general settings section (Edit -> preferences -> fasteners) to enable/disable/tweak fastener thread generation.
3dpr_settings.png
3dpr_settings.png (31.11 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
using this, I was able to generate functional fasteners compatible both with 3d printed counter parts, and standard metal parts.
3dpr_screws.jpg
3dpr_screws.jpg (577.04 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
The above settings were good for my printer, but I guess will have to be played with to apply to other printers / filaments. I used 0.1 layer height and was able to print down to m4 functional screws/nuts.