Feature request for the sketcher-workbench

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Feature request for the sketcher-workbench

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

Feature request for the sketcher-workbench:
Compared to Chrisb Sketcher tutorial on page 28:
slot_dimension_sktecher_tutorial.png
slot_dimension_sktecher_tutorial.png (31.09 KiB) Viewed 2837 times
It's a bit complex to reach this dimension 30mm, two points onto the arcs, and they are horizontal to the arc center points.

I wish to have such a dimensioning tool, tangent to the arcs:
dimension_tangent.png
dimension_tangent.png (4.84 KiB) Viewed 2837 times
For construction lines I wish the possibility to change the draw style like in the view tab.

Second wish / request, it concerns external geometry. I wish that if I select external geometry, that it's not needed to redraw the shape.
Sorry my English is so lala, I hope my animgif help to understand what I mean:
sketcher_external_geometry.gif
sketcher_external_geometry.gif (292.4 KiB) Viewed 2837 times
abdullah wrote:Ping
Third wish, a offset tool inside the sketcher:
sketcher_external_geometry_and_offset.gif
sketcher_external_geometry_and_offset.gif (258.06 KiB) Viewed 2829 times
Thank you so much and best regards

Wilfried
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Re: Feature request for the sketcher-workbench

Post by Jee-Bee »

partly similar request as mine last week: see https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=33369
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:56 am I wish to have such a dimensioning tool, tangent to the arcs:
Hi Wilfried,

I can make a finite number of different distances between "lines" tangent to the arcs, having each a different length. For defining what you want, I think you need more than just saying "tangent to the arc", either it is tangent to the arc at a given point, or tangent, where the tangent is vertical/horizontal.

I am not against having a better way to do this. But I am not sure of exactly what.
freecad-heini-1 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:56 am
For construction lines I wish the possibility to change the draw style like in the view tab.
This I do not understand exactly what you mean.
freecad-heini-1 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:56 am Second wish / request, it concerns external geometry. I wish that if I select external geometry, that it's not needed to redraw the shape.
This should happen during v.19, as it seems it is possible to arrive to a good implementation.
freecad-heini-1 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:56 am Third wish, a offset tool inside the sketcher:
This should also happen during v.19.
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

Most cad's have the ability to automatically select midpoints... I think that would work quite well also in the first example (request).

Offset, rotate, scale and midpoints would IMO be all nice improvements to the sketcher :roll:
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

abdullah wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:32 pm
freecad-heini-1 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:56 am I wish to have such a dimensioning tool, tangent to the arcs:
Hi Wilfried,

I can make a finite number of different distances between "lines" tangent to the arcs, having each a different length. For defining what you want, I think you need more than just saying "tangent to the arc", either it is tangent to the arc at a given point, or tangent, where the tangent is vertical/horizontal.

I am not against having a better way to do this. But I am not sure of exactly what.
Hi abdullah,
I mean horizontal / vertikal or to a defined line / direction. At the moment it is a bit work to dimension the 30mm, for future I wish to select the two arcs, horizontal, that's it.
freecad-heini-1 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:56 am For construction lines I wish the possibility to change the draw style like in the view tab.
abdullah wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:32 pm This I do not understand exactly what you mean.
O.k. at the moment the draw style of a construction mode element is solid. I wish to have the possibility to define the draw style inside the sketcher to dashed, or dotted, or dash-dotted. So that inside of the sketch construction elements are not only blue, in addition they are for example dotted.
freecad-heini-1 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:56 am Second wish / request, it concerns external geometry. I wish that if I select external geometry, that it's not needed to redraw the shape.
abdullah wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:32 pm This should happen during v.19, as it seems it is possible to arrive to a good implementation.
freecad-heini-1 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:56 am Third wish, a offset tool inside the sketcher:
abdullah wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:32 pm This should also happen during v.19.
Thank you so much for your great work, best regards
Wilfried
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:25 pm Hi abdullah,
I mean horizontal / vertikal or to a defined line / direction. At the moment it is a bit work to dimension the 30mm, for future I wish to select the two arcs, horizontal, that's it.
freecad-heini-1 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:56 am For construction lines I wish the possibility to change the draw style like in the view tab.
abdullah wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:32 pm This I do not understand exactly what you mean.
O.k. at the moment the draw style of a construction mode element is solid. I wish to have the possibility to define the draw style inside the sketcher to dashed, or dotted, or dash-dotted. So that inside of the sketch construction elements are not only blue, in addition they are for example dotted.
I am not sure about the arcs, because it looks to me a non-intuitive workflow. I do acknowledge the need/advantages, but it does not appear to be intuitive for the user. It needs more working to arrive to a seamless approach.

About the drawing style, I am not sure what can be done. But it should be a matter of investigating.

Feel free to add a couple of tickets for feature request to these two (the other two already have tickets), for target version 0.19. You do not need much description, just link your post above. This way I will have an active reminder. ;)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

abdullah wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:20 pm I am not sure about the arcs, because it looks to me a non-intuitive workflow.
We have this almost nowhere else. There is only the use case point-to-line-distance which can be seen as similar.

Although it is not the most comfortable way I like saso's idea of a midpoint on the arc. That would work seamless for a tilted slot as well.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

abdullah wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:20 pm
freecad-heini-1 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:25 pm Hi abdullah,
I am not sure about the arcs, because it looks to me a non-intuitive workflow. I do acknowledge the need/advantages, but it does not appear to be intuitive for the user. It needs more working to arrive to a seamless approach.

About the drawing style, I am not sure what can be done. But it should be a matter of investigating.

Feel free to add a couple of tickets for feature request to these two (the other two already have tickets), for target version 0.19. You do not need much description, just link your post above. This way I will have an active reminder. ;)
Dear abdullah,
for better understanding:
sketcher_external_geometry_and_offset.gif
sketcher_external_geometry_and_offset.gif (136.91 KiB) Viewed 2673 times
Freecad dimensioning, with points on curve, horizontal and vertical to the arc-center:
Freecad_dimensioning_tangent_arcs_2.gif
Freecad_dimensioning_tangent_arcs_2.gif (479.92 KiB) Viewed 2668 times
Best regards
Wilfried
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

Good example Wilfried, midpoints will obviously not help here :)
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:11 am for better understanding:
Definitely yes. Much better understanding. So what you are proposing is an overload of the horizontal/vertical distance constraints between curves. This seems well defined and doable. It is likely I will make it into v0.19. Put it in the tracker so that I do not forget.