Editing Problems

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chris s

Editing Problems

Post by chris s »

I am ok building parts in Freecad but I struggle when editing parts. I often get an error that I cant understand or fix. For exmaple yesterday I tried to remove a pocket and an unrelated pocket became detached.

Is there a video or something that would help me better understand the editing process?
meme2704
Veteran

Re: Editing Problems

Post by meme2704 »

Hi
Yorik (I think) often explains to us that at each operation, the numbering of faces and aretes is recalculated,
So if you cancel a pocket, you do not retrograde in the tree, but you create a new branch, the operations between the canceled pocket and the end become orphan.
2 solutions: either you fill the pocket to cancel by an equivalent pad,
either go up in the tree structure by erasing all the operations until the pocket to be erased and restart the following operations
chris s

Post by chris s »

Thanks. I will look into that. I dont yet have the tree structure facility, but I know about it, just not sure how to install it.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

chris s wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:43 am Thanks. I will look into that. I dont yet have the tree structure facility, but I know about it, just not sure how to install it.
Hi,

The tree view Meme2704 is talking about is a default feature (viewed at the left of the window).

The problem you encounter is referred as "topological naming issue".
To prevent it to appear, you may read and apply Advice for creating stable models.
As an example it was recently discussed in this thread : https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33086