Feature request for the sketcher-workbench

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Re: Feature request for the sketcher-workbench

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

abdullah wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:34 am
freecad-heini-1 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:11 am for better understanding:
Definitely yes. Much better understanding. So what you are proposing is an overload of the horizontal/vertical distance constraints between curves. This seems well defined and doable. It is likely I will make it into v0.19. Put it in the tracker so that I do not forget.
https://freecadweb.org/tracker/view.php?id=3780
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Tiny hint for all your future tracker issues: it is sufficient to use the bug number inside the bug tags:

Code: Select all

[bug]3780[/bug]
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

chrisb wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:51 am
Tiny hint for all your future tracker issues: it is sufficient to use the bug number inside the bug tags:

Code: Select all

[bug]3780[/bug]
It's not a bug, it's a feature request.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:33 am It's not a bug, it's a feature request.
The tag just links to the tracker it's called 'bug' but it can also be a 'feature' (just like the saying goes) ;)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

My second wish for a feature request was this, external geometry without redraw it.
This example was created in Pro-Engineer Wildfire 5.0.

Meantime Realtunder created such a feature called "Defining Geometry" inside the sketcher in his Assembly3 branch.
It's nearly finished, but the trim tool didn't work as expected. I asked him for to improve this tool.
Great to see this feature.
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:25 pm O.k. at the moment the draw style of a construction mode element is solid. I wish to have the possibility to define the draw style inside the sketcher to dashed, or dotted, or dash-dotted. So that inside of the sketch construction elements are not only blue, in addition they are for example dotted.
+1
A different draw style of construction lines should avoid visibility troubles which are relevant with the color background chosen by user, in this way solid and construction lines could be the same color.
I have another request: AFAIK if a sketch is set to visible the construction lines remain hidden. It would be great if construction lines were visible too, in this way construction lines could be selected as references for external references (Xref). Furthermore a different draw style should avoid any confusion beetween solid lines and construction lines while a sketch is closed but visible.
Finally, thanks for the great job which is achieving concerning the sketcher :D
Alex
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

I would add some feature request about sketecher to this thread:

- Automatic deletion of empty sketch (if it has still no any dependency): I mean when creating a sketch, if the user give up and close the sketch without any object inside an empty sketch is created. Maybe the empty sketch could be deleted automaticaly while user is closing it?

- mode "M" key cycles behaviour about distance constraints:
to add distance constraints the user has at least 6 choices for now:
6-distance-tools.png
6-distance-tools.png (1.37 KiB) Viewed 1255 times
namely: straight distance, horizontal and vertical distance, radius and diameter distance, anglular distance
In order to add dimensions to a sketch the user has to switch between those 6 options by using shortcuts or go back and forth with mouse to select icones. That is time consuming. IMHO it would be great if a "M" key cycles behaviour similar to the polyline tool could be added. The user would select one of those 6 options then it would be able to switch between distance constraints type when constraining.
I.e. select straight distance (shift+D), add few distances, then press "M" key up to radius mode, then add few radius, then "M", then add few diameters, "M", then add horizontal, and so on.
Sorry, lot of words, my english is just so so...

hope abdullah or some inspired devellopers could spend some time about that...
abdullah wrote:Ping

Alex
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

-alex- wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:59 pm - Automatic deletion of empty sketch (if it has still no any dependency): I mean when creating a sketch, if the user give up and close the sketch without any object inside an empty sketch is created. Maybe the empty sketch could be deleted automaticaly while user is closing it?
I don't like too much automatism. It might have been tricky to create the right attachment and I don't want to repeat it, but I sure would hate FreeCAD for deleting my sketch. If I want to delete it, I do it myself.

- mode "M" key cycles behaviour about distance constraints:
You probably mean "dimension", angles don't have a distance, and it is questionable if a radius is a distance

I'm not sure if such a key is better than what we have now. There are alternatives:

1) You can use Constraint continue mode: select a dimensional constraint, e.g. diameter, and apply it to all circles, then select the next dimensional constraint and apply it to the appropriate elements.

2) Use the keyboard shortcuts. You can use the predefined mnemonic keys or set new ones, e.g. adjacent keys.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

chrisb wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:16 pm I don't like too much automatism. It might have been tricky to create the right attachment and I don't want to repeat it, but I sure would hate FreeCAD for deleting my sketch. If I want to delete it, I do it myself.
If your sketch is empty, there is no any risk to suppress anything. For eg. Solidworks process in this way: automatic deletion of empty sketch when exiting.

chrisb wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:16 pm You probably mean "dimension", angles don't have a distance, and it is questionable if a radius is a distance
AFAIC I would say "dimensions", but I say "distance" because it named in this way in Freecad (I mean in pop up), and "dimension" has not so much meaning for abdullah if I remember, so I have pasted the picture of icones in order to avoid this kind of semantic discusion :roll:

chrisb wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:16 pm 2) Use the keyboard shortcuts. You can use the predefined mnemonic keys or set new ones, e.g. adjacent keys.
It's true. But no shortcuts for radius or diameter by default for now. Of course user can add its own shortcuts as you say, but he has to press different keys (shift+H, shift+V, etc...). Switch "M" seems me more convenient. Futhermore I don't ask to suppress existing shortcuts.

Edit: another system would be: autodetection of shape when dimensioning: I mean you select ImageSketcher_ConstrainDistance, then if a line is selected it add a linear distance, if circle selected it adds "diameter distance", if arc selected it adds "radius". But it seems me more difficult to code, though I'm not a develloper :lol:
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

-alex- wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:38 pm If your sketch is empty, there is no any risk to suppress anything. For eg. Solidworks process in this way: automatic deletion of empty sketch when exiting.
Not true: Placement and Attachment can already contain considerable effort even if the sketch is empty.

Please note that SolidWorks is not a clone of FreeCAD, so they are of course allowed to handle things differently. Do they have the notion of attachment and placement in a similar way?