assembly without solver

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
realthunder
Veteran

Re: assembly without solver

Post by realthunder »

Zolko wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:15 pm Do you plan to release a new AppImage with these features ?
Yeah, I am doing it these few days, creating demos and fixing some bugs along the way. Hopefully I can make a release this weekend. Nice job, BTW!
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

realthunder wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:13 pm Hopefully I can make a release this weekend. Nice job, BTW!
Cool, and thanx. May-be it would be useful to include git commit 55a4f78ad, that enables the "create Datum Coordinate System" (LCS) in the toolbar ? See here in the forum

Also, how much work would it be to refine the "select Linked object" dialog, to show only Parts (App::Part objects) by default, and show all objects only when the "Show all object types" checkbox is actually checked ? It would make the workflow and tutorials more natural.

fosselius wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:53 pm Combine this with the git-freecad file effort and FreeCAD will be great for larger teams
I didn't know about that, but it's quite exactly what I had in mind also. All that is needed now is a wider availability of a compatible FreeCAD release.

All good stuff, I'm eager to test the new release.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

OK .... but does it need to be fully integrated into FreeCAD ? Like ... WTF does FreeCAD need a Web browser workbench ??? Shouldn't we keep things separated, but with a seamless workflow between FreeCAD and git, and everybody uses his favorite git client ? Or SVN, why not ? Or Mercurial, or whatever ?
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

Git have a feature called git-hooks:
https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Customiz ... -Git-Hooks

Imagine 10 people working on different files in the same assembly, once one user save their work, its automatically comitted and pushed and the assembly is instantly updated for all users ^_^

Regarding web workbench, i am sure someone can motivate it, but as we use QT and QT offers web functionality i can see that its easy and tempting to expose the functionality to users.

Webview is used for the startpage btw.
Related topic: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26834
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

Zolko wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:07 pm WTF does FreeCAD need a Web browser workbench ???
Creo have 2 both IE and chrome implemented... so it happend more often.
Mark Szlazak

Post by Mark Szlazak »

Zolko wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:07 pm Like ... WTF does FreeCAD need a Web browser workbench ???
I haven't run into this in course work with Solidworks but it is part of classroom exercises in CREO. Basically we browsed to a manfactures website to directly download into CREO some fasteners that they provide from their catalogue in CREO format. I do not know what else but it maybe not that high a priority to have this.
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

Zolko wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:07 pm WTF does FreeCAD need a Web browser workbench ???
The description explains it ;)

"This workbench contains tools to interact with different web services. Current webservices include:

git logo Git: Manages the current document with Git.

bimserver logo BimServer: Connects and interacts with a BIM server instance.

sketchfab logo Sketchfab: Connects and uploads a model to a Sketchfab account."

https://github.com/yorikvanhavre/WebTools
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

everybody has the right to loose his time as he wants. Explains a lot, though ...
Mark Szlazak

Post by Mark Szlazak »

Zolko wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:13 pm
everybody has the right to loose his time as he wants. Explains a lot, though ...
Yeah, that is for sure.😉