New user observations & guidance request

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
usertogo

New user observations & guidance request

Post by usertogo »

Hi since I just got into 3d printing a couple of weeks ago I was forced to get into CAD again a bit ( I was for years a pretty advanced Solidworks user and even instructor) and I am very excited to find the advancing and impressing achievements of FreeCAD and also OpenSCAD! Naturally it is not flowing quite so well yet or in comparison from the accuracy and capabilituies with the Solidworks versions from 1999 to 2011 approximately. I evaluated cloud based solutions Fusion 360 and also onShape, and I am very disappointed about the unhandyness of the cloud and those hardcore login hurdels and delays! I don't think those can have a future or would advise anybody to not add such a failure prone dependence on externalities to their live... (Reminds me about some clowns from some Bundesinstitut of Mafia like activites in my country trying to sell how everybody should have to be mandated to have a device that checks weather somebody has the authority to print some file... Them guys preping to shoot their own foot - repeatedly)

So getting back to subject! I love freeCAD! even though Version .017 is a long way to go from designer nirvana...
A world where 'what you see and desire is what you get, and where every context can be selected and modified right there by asking what methods most likely would I want to choose from for the selected or pointed at (and highlighted) design elements...
I actually thought FreeCAD used in some underlaying level OpenSCAD coding created on the fly - but I suppose that could be just another workbench I haven't discovered yet. I mean a freecad where you can create primitives and operations and somehow they get translated into some highest possible level code - I wonder how soon the simplicity would be lost when applying more complicated operations...

What I thing is utterly unnecessary is that every program has a distinct way of choosing how to scroll pan rotate zoom, and I wonder is that due to patents? The ones that also require to press a key are the worst (FreeCAD .017 is that)

I also wonder if it is my video gaming accelerator from one of the big players (AMD radeon) is at fault for not figuring all of the surfaces (so actually sometimes I get confused which side of the object is up) and I don't envy the actual programmers who have to make that work some day...
If somebody wanted to look at the code some day what would be the way is that just another workbench?
Anyhow thanks for all the great work and Happy Holidays to all! :mrgreen:
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: New user observations & guidance request

Post by sgrogan »

Hello usertogo! Welcome to FreeCAD and the forum :)
usertogo wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:10 pm What I thing is utterly unnecessary is that every program has a distinct way of choosing how to scroll pan rotate zoom, and I wonder is that due to patents? The ones that also require to press a key are the worst (FreeCAD .017 is that)
Please see here: https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Mouse_Model I prefer "Gesture", it minimizes what you are talking about.
"fight the good fight"
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hello usertogo,

Welcome here!

usertogo wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:10 pm What I thing is utterly unnecessary is that every program has a distinct way of choosing how to scroll pan rotate zoom, and I wonder is that due to patents? The ones that also require to press a key are the worst (FreeCAD .017 is that)
Don't you know that everybody has their own opinion of what those should be... Ever heard of standards? https://xkcd.com/927/ ;)

FreeCAD has 8 different mouse navigation styles. Eight! Commercial programs just propose one. If you can't find one you like out of the existing styles, what can I tell you... ;)

Look for the navigation indicator at the bottom of FreeCAD's window, it's the easiest way to change your navigation style. The Mouse Model page sgrogan linked does not mention it yet, it was added in 0.17.

And you can reverse the zoom direction (scroll wheel) as well as change the zoom step in the preferences.

usertogo wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:10 pm I actually thought FreeCAD used in some underlaying level OpenSCAD coding created on the fly - but I suppose that could be just another workbench I haven't discovered yet.
FreeCAD and OpenSCAD have really nothing in common. There is one OpenSCAD workbench which allows import of scad files, and also interpreting OpenSCAD scripting - but OpenSCAD needs to be installed. The main FreeCAD uses Python for scripting.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

usertogo wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:10 pm I also wonder if it is my video gaming accelerator from one of the big players (AMD radeon) is at fault for not figuring all of the surfaces (so actually sometimes I get confused which side of the object is up) and I don't envy the actual programmers who have to make that work some day...
Hi,

Possible issue with Radeon is highlighted on the pinned topic in this subforum : https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 94ce3611a6 ;)
usertogo

Post by usertogo »

Thank you for the great responses guys!

I have published may first FreeCAD design right away here along with other Open source ideas and projects: https://www.patreon.com/SunTripToGo ( I like that I can hide the rare personal opinion article that may not be easily acceptable to the common visitor there behind a payment door)
Generally I like to work on solar mobility and even Solar Robotic Vehicles for agricultural applications and such... And I am very excited if this designing and Printing entirely open source based leads to more collaboration!

I am short before publishing the second design which is a 3D rotatable logic puzzle building block and in that context I noticed there are apparently still large blockages to 'parametric design with programable variations' because I noticed disabling a hole and champfer caused some of the geometry after the fact to move onto different planes of excitence :roll:
So mental note design the complicated things first and the variable things last... or learn how to avoide referencing any planes that could jump around ... jump around (trying to remember a song...)

Ok folks happy end of the 18% hurdle - Yeahy - I think it was the 18% flipping point for the electromobility revolution too!
Some day we will be designing and printing motors with filament specifically selected for its hysteresis curves and such magnetic properties... Who believes there will ever be super conductive filament? (You may say I'm a dreamer.... )
usertogo

Post by usertogo »

I don't know if it is just the 0.18 latest appimage, but I find that while it appears convenient to be able to change the input gestures in so many ways, each of them carries their own 'disabilities'! I found problems where I could not select bodies for Boolean operation, or sketches where invisible or did not even draw. So i gather offering so many interface options turned into a liability because of the way program functions also depend on these interfaces? So which is the safest interface settings for meanwhile?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

usertogo wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:03 am ... each of them carries their own 'disabilities'! I found problems where I could not select bodies for Boolean operation, or sketches where invisible or did not even draw.
I have never heard before about any connection between the input method and those "disabilities". I would rather guess that something else is the cause, such as:
There is still a dialog open, then you cannot select e.g. a boolean operation.
A sketch is made of construction geometry only or the body or Part container containing the sketch is invisible, then you cannot see the sketch in 3D view, even if you toggle visibility.

If you encounter such a problem come back and describe it in detail, so we can find out what's happening. And if the cause is indeed the input method, then it should be fixed.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
usertogo

Post by usertogo »

One of these that I just tested is that you can not even select a face or anything in the 'openInventor' interface.

In my opinion all interfaces share the same shortcoming that a right click on any selectable object does not really ask 'what can be done with this'!
That behavior to relate the right click over selected objects with a list of the actions that can be taken in relation with the selected object is a cross platform standard. For me currently only 'set tip' (no idea what that does) and 'navigation styles' are right click options. At least the last has nothing to do with lets say that selected face!
A selected face should probably at least offer to base a sketch on that face, or something in relation with that shape binder that I haven't really understood yet. Thinkable future right click bonus operations could be measurements, coordinates or transforms. Also to edit a feature or sketch which an object is based on should be directly accessible via right click...
Ok 0.18 I suppose things will find their way if I can help it?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Did you look at the documentation of Mouse Model? It says rather clearly that you select with control key + left mouse click. Doesn't that work at yours? It works even on the Mac - where you replace Ctrl with Cmd.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
usertogo

Post by usertogo »

Good point! I look out if i find any other apparent inconsistencies...