New user observations & guidance request

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: New user observations & guidance request

Post by NormandC »

usertogo wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:55 am One of these that I just tested is that you can not even select a face or anything in the 'openInventor' interface.
Did you actually read my reply back in December? How the Navigation indicator at the bottom of the FreeCAD window shows how the navigation styles work, when you hover on it?

Are you saying that you cannot select faces when pressing your Shift key, as instructed by the tooltip?
Attachments
FC_NavigationIndicator_OpenInventor_02.png
FC_NavigationIndicator_OpenInventor_02.png (39.28 KiB) Viewed 1172 times
usertogo

Post by usertogo »

Yes Thank you Norman, I have recognized my mistake! did you see that I had previously already admitted that before you replied?
When I realized how perfect that tooltip is made I felt a bit ashamed, but you know how it goes as a new user it feels like navigating a dark cave on sense of smell alone. Lets be proactive and turn on the light... For example I have started to display that Python console - how can I get that even more verbose? For example even what object are seen by mouse-over or selecting- That whole feature/design history tree is a start of graphing what the program 'knows'... Maybe it will help debug why I feel like sometimes I can't select things neither from the design-tree nor onscreen - blind new users in the darkness need more light and feedback!
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

usertogo wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:49 pm did you see that I had previously already admitted that before you replied?
Oh, was that an admission? :roll:

Look, you're showing me here and on Gitter that you don't listen, you don't check the links that you are given, up and until somebody points it to you. Sometimes repeatedly.

So yeah, why should I even listen to whatever you want to say when it's a one way street? I have better things to do with my time.
usertogo

Post by usertogo »

NormandC wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:59 pm ...
So yeah, why should I even listen to whatever you want to say when it's a one way street? I have better things to do with my time.
Definitely if you continue to focus on the perceived communication difficulties you perceive, you are not only wasting your time!

As a general life improvement I recommend solution oriented pro-activity! Escentially getting back to the subject at hand that improves the project and happiness of everyone involved!

Identify the priority concentrating on the subject, don't get sidetracked implying anything personal, but concentrate on teh maximal benefit of the project and its users.

What I have learned from the subject at hand is:
The deficiencies that I noticed on what is available in the right click menu fully depend on the active Workbench! This is counterproductive in a way because it requires people to know a lot about the different workbenches and what is available in them! A thinkable high impact modification could be to query for the selected design elements what are the available menu items in (user selectable) applicable workbenches and after eliminating redundancies offer the most probable mix?

I suspect that having different workbenches is great for the project, as it effectively creates parallel competing design approaches that evolve partially together and partially separate, and are often still concurrently available to the user to achieve his design intent. Being a complete noob on Python I can hope for something similar to Java called Class introspection, where you can ask Java Classes to deliver a list of method prototypes available for them. I suspect that that would be the approach to fix the right click menu deficiencies? I am focusing on the right click menu because you don't have to know which tools are where - you select and hopefully find the selected object knowing itself and what methods might apply to it?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The last two paragraphs are identical to this post in another topic - well, with the exception of a corrected typo. Is there a special reason why you think we must read this twice?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
usertogo

Post by usertogo »

chrisb wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:21 pm The last two paragraphs are identical to this post in another topic - well, with the exception of a corrected typo. Is there a special reason why you think we must read this twice?
I wasn't aware that anybody would read the entire forum?
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I read virtually every English language sub-forum except FEM and Arch. I believe there are quite a few others who read most or all of the sub-forums.

In some ways it is like a continuous tutorial. I download lots of the problem FCStd files, and I learn a lot. (Often I learn what to avoid!)

Spamming by posting the same message in multiple sub-forums is almost universally flagged across the internet. Some folks are almost violent in their reactions. Here it might be a slightly pointed response, but we try to keep things civil. 8-)

Gene
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

usertogo wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:37 pm I wasn't aware that anybody would read the entire forum?
This is a cool community with very enthusiastic volunteers :wink:
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Instead of repeatng the contents you could have used a link.
GeneFC wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:51 pm In some ways it is like a continuous tutorial. I download lots of the problem FCStd files, and I learn a lot. (Often I learn what to avoid!)
That's exactly my way of learning. And it is suitable for beginners as well. Try to find solutions on your own of posted questions and compare them to the solutions of others. Be surprised about completely different approaches - and adopt them.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
usertogo

Post by usertogo »

chrisb wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:05 am Instead of repeating the contents you could have used a link.
GeneFC wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:51 pm In some ways it is like a continuous tutorial. I download lots of the problem FCStd files, and I learn a lot. (Often I learn what to avoid!)
That's exactly my way of learning. And it is suitable for beginners as well. Try to find solutions on your own of posted questions and compare them to the solutions of others. Be surprised about completely different approaches - and adopt them.
For that reason I am posting my troublesome learning efforts in source here:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3368982
it is delta28BYJ-bracket04.fcstd that baffles me right now, after I was able to use the mirror of the Parts Workbench I can no longer get an acceptable object to add a sketch to a face of the body...
Equally I can usually not accesses (visualize) sketches buried from previous consumed features...
So the design history and rollback needs review...
I think later I start a new bracket from scratch to see if I can do it all right next time with more advanced ideas