Save File in Version .18 problem.

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
gilsr

Save File in Version .18 problem.

Post by gilsr »

Just started using version .18. I saved a file but it didn't append a suffix. Looked at the file types at the bottom of the page and only choice was FreeCad Document. No pull down at all. And when I looked for the files using "Open" none of the files in the directory were listed. I did find a similar problem mention here and the solution was typing the suffix with the filename. That did allow me to save and also to see the files. Strangely, it also fixed the file type problem with the pulldown.

So I'm good. If I should do a bug report, let me know.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.15187 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 04005b5e452a7b8624f2aeac5180787d4f6a88fa
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
wmayer
Founder

Re: Save File in Version .18 problem.

Post by wmayer »

Just started using version .18. I saved a file but it didn't append a suffix.
This depends on the file dialog of the desktop environment (DE). It looks like it's a common problem with GTK based DE. In version 0.18 there is now a user parameter where you can switch off the native dialog and use the Qt implementation instead.
Therefore open the Parameter editor and go to Preferences > Dialog, create a boolean key with the name DontUseNativeDialog and set it to true.
Looked at the file types at the bottom of the page and only choice was FreeCad Document. No pull down at all. And when I looked for the files using "Open" none of the files in the directory were listed.
For saving a document the only available option is the FCStd format. So this is absolute correct behaviour. If you want to save in another format you first have to select the object you want to save and then go to File > Export. There you get a list of all supported file formats.
gilsr

Re: Save File in Version .18 problem.

Post by gilsr »

Thanks for the quick reply. I applied the change in parameters and it didn't help. But I installed the freecad-daily and it works as expected. It sees all related files and saves with added suffix.
I'm happy.