New short wiki pages on Debian & packaging

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kkremitzki
Veteran

New short wiki pages on Debian & packaging

Post by kkremitzki »

https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/DebianUnstable
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/DebianDevelopment
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/GitBuildpackage

I've been wanting to get some of my Debian/packaging knowledge into the wiki for a while, these are just first drafts towards that effort. I'd like to expand on instructions for running virtual machines since it's very easy to spin up a Debian Unstable VM and help out.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
NormandC
Veteran

Re: New short wiki pages on Debian & packaging

Post by NormandC »

Thanks!!! :)

As I suggested in another topic, we could have a Packaging portal page that would link to pages like Debian packaging, Windows packaging and MacOS packaging. Then the pages you created could be linked from the Debian packaging page...
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

kkremitzki wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:25 am https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/DebianUnstable
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/DebianDevelopment
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/GitBuildpackage

I've been wanting to get some of my Debian/packaging knowledge into the wiki for a while, these are just first drafts towards that effort. I'd like to expand on instructions for running virtual machines since it's very easy to spin up a Debian Unstable VM and help out.
Bump.

This information should definitely be in the Developer hub.

As per this thread, Rename: Compiling pages, I prefer to leave a space between the words and only capitalize the first letter or proper names.
* Debian_Unstable
* Debian_development
* Git_buildpackage
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
renatorivo
Veteran

Post by renatorivo »

vocx wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:55 pm As per this thread, Rename: Compiling pages, I prefer to leave a space between the words and only capitalize the first letter or proper names.
* Debian_Unstable
* Debian_development
* Git_buildpackage
Done.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

The pages need to be categorized as well
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:51 am The pages need to be categorized as well
In my opinion, the three top level categories should be "User documentation", "Poweruser documentation", and "Developer documentation".

All other categories should not have the word "documentation". That is, I would put the page in the "Packaging" category, which itself would be a sub-category of "Developer documentation".
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

From NormandC's comment above, I've decided to create the following pages.

Packaging
* Linux_packaging
* Windows_packaging
* MacOS_packaging

The Windows and MacOS pages are still empty. Perhaps uwestoehr, sgrogan, apeltauer can fill something on the Windows side.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

vocx wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:53 am The Windows and MacOS pages are still empty. Perhaps uwestoehr, sgrogan, apeltauer can fill something on the Windows side.
I just came across this now :oops:
This is indeed a good idea.

I will try to add some content to the windows page. I will for sure need help formatting it.

How do I create a sandbox for this page?
"fight the good fight"
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

sgrogan wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:57 pm ...

How do I create a sandbox for this page?
You can just edit the page itself. It doesn't matter if it's a work in progress. Or just create a second page, Windows_packaging_sandbox; edit it as you like, and when you are finished, copy and paste all information into the real page, Windows_packaging.