Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) workbench using OpenFOAM

A subforum specific to the development of the OpenFoam-based workbenches ( Cfd https://github.com/qingfengxia/Cfd and CfdOF https://github.com/jaheyns/CfdOF )

Moderator: oliveroxtoby

Crossleyuk

Re: Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) workbench using OpenFOAM

Post by Crossleyuk »

Thanks again Thomas,

Yes, CFD_Tutorial_1_new.FCStd worked fine and I have the result:
Thomas CFD_Tutorial_1_new.FCStd Solver.PNG
Thomas CFD_Tutorial_1_new.FCStd Solver.PNG (125.47 KiB) Viewed 1691 times

I must now try the Elbow again for myself and start to learn a lot more about what CfdOF can do for me and how to do it :roll: :lol:

Cheers man!!

Michael
Crossleyuk

Post by Crossleyuk »

Great job guys, cant tell you how much I'm enjoying this.

Thank you so much!!!

Michael :P
Crossleyuk

Post by Crossleyuk »

Sorry Guys,

First of all, thanks for the help again and now it is clear that I had drawn the entire sketch in the wrong orientation an the as you suggested Oliver the axies were incorrect. Yet another dumb moment on my part.

Okay, now the strange bit again. As you will have seen when I used your new corrected case Thomas it worked great and I started the Paraview tutorial excited.

However, I came back to it today and I'm getting the same failure again:

Thomas CFD_Tutorial_1_new.FCStd 2nd Try Fail.PNG
Thomas CFD_Tutorial_1_new.FCStd 2nd Try Fail.PNG (17.75 KiB) Viewed 1656 times

You've been great an undertstand if I'm being slow but I'm confused big time.

Cheers guys,

Michael

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13541 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 9948ee4f1570df9216862a79705afb367b2c6ffb
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

Crossleyuk wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:13 am
Okay, now the strange bit again. As you will have seen when I used your new corrected case Thomas it worked great and I started the Paraview tutorial excited.

However, I came back to it today and I'm getting the same failure again:
Did you restart your computer in between writing the mesh and trying to run the solver? If you, the temporary directory might have been erased. Returning to the mesh panel and re-creating the mesh should solve that. Also, you can change the directory where the case files are written in the CFD preferences, if you want to avoid the temp directory.
Please provide all the information requested in this post before reporting problems with CfdOF.
Crossleyuk

Post by Crossleyuk »

Thanks Oliver, I'll take a cloer look at your suggestions.

Michael
thschrader
Veteran

Post by thschrader »

Crossleyuk wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:13 am However, I came back to it today and I'm getting the same failure again:
Have you set an explicit (existing) path for the case writer in Edit/Preferences/cfd?
After doing this, the meshcase and case folder should allways located there.
For me it works.
write_error.JPG
write_error.JPG (21.23 KiB) Viewed 1585 times
preferences_cfd_wb.JPG
preferences_cfd_wb.JPG (38.57 KiB) Viewed 1585 times
Crossleyuk

Post by Crossleyuk »

Okay Thomas, thanks again and all agreed with your suggestions. I now realise that I must re-mesh before running the iterations, so yet another learning step. Thank you again.

Now please tell to "give up" (to put it politely) if I'm being a pain but I had a thought of ensuring I had things understood. So I went back to my original case and went through it again ensuring that I had repeated all the items in the case you sent to me that was working fine. Of cours my change in axis and plain selection for the original sketch ment I had to correct my Inlet velocity axies. So after checking everything was in agreement with your case again I ran my modified case immediately after running yours and got exactly the same result.

So all seamed fine but when I saved my case and re-loaded it failed, after making all the checks again and re-meshing etc:
CFD Tutorial 1 - Elbow Rev P3 After Changes Fail.PNG
CFD Tutorial 1 - Elbow Rev P3 After Changes Fail.PNG (24.74 KiB) Viewed 1526 times

Again sorry but I really thought I'd solved my problem with your help.

Cheers

Michael

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13541 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 9948ee4f1570df9216862a79705afb367b2c6ffb
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

Crossleyuk wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:05 am Okay Thomas, thanks again and all agreed with your suggestions. I now realise that I must re-mesh before running the iterations, so yet another learning step. Thank you again.

Now please tell to "give up" (to put it politely) if I'm being a pain but I had a thought of ensuring I had things understood. So I went back to my original case and went through it again ensuring that I had repeated all the items in the case you sent to me that was working fine. Of cours my change in axis and plain selection for the original sketch ment I had to correct my Inlet velocity axies. So after checking everything was in agreement with your case again I ran my modified case immediately after running yours and got exactly the same result.

So all seamed fine but when I saved my case and re-loaded it failed, after making all the checks again and re-meshing etc:
Did you by any chance give one of your boundary conditions a numeric name? (They should all be alphanumeric, start with a letter, and contain no spaces.) This would cause confusion to OpenFOAM, and unfortunately we haven't had time for such niceties as checks on the legality of naming :-/
Please provide all the information requested in this post before reporting problems with CfdOF.
Crossleyuk

Post by Crossleyuk »

Hi Oliver,

Yet again I'm very impressed and grateful for your efforts and support. After checking the boundary naming I realised that I had used a space in four boundary names, eg, "Input 1". I removed all the spaces and it has worked fine now.

Bloody marvellous, as we say here in England :lol:

Cheers man!! 8-)

Michael
thschrader
Veteran

Post by thschrader »

Crossleyuk wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:05 am Now please tell to "give up" (to put it politely) if I'm being a pain but I had a thought of ensuring I had things understood.
Dont hesitate to put questions in the FC-forum.
Sometimes the answers are rough, but in the end we solve the problem.
regards Thomas :)