E-drawings & Solidworks Seminar.

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: E-drawings & Solidworks Seminar.

Post by chrisb »

Hi Herbert, thanks for the report, nice contest!
How long was the training? Background for my question are the complaints that FreeCAD is so hard to learn, while I think that 3D is hard to learn. From Wilfried I know already that a beginner's training is 2 weeks for a basic course with more to follow.
So I'm interested in the time schedule and how far you got in that time.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

NormandC wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:12 pm What's with the Solidworks advert? :|
keithsloan52 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:07 am I believe e-drawings was originally developed by Bunkspeed and Solidworks bought it
No, it wasn't. eDrawings has always been developed by SolidWorks.

Bunkspeed makes the Shot add-on rendering software. Bunkspeed split off from Hypershot after a dispute between the founders. They parted ways, one starting Bunkspeed, the other Luxion, with competing KeyShot (notice the name "shot" being used in all cases).
I think the part of the mobile app for eDrawings that does augmented reality came from Bunkspeed.

The story was that McLaren had an augmented reality app for McLaren P1 developed by Bunkspeed and that when they saw it they decided to buy out Bunkspeed and incorporate it in the eDrawing app.

see https://cars.mclaren.com/apps
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The link is was broken.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

chrisb wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:18 am Hi Herbert, thanks for the report, nice contest!
How long was the training? Background for my question are the complaints that FreeCAD is so hard to learn, while I think that 3D is hard to learn. From Wilfried I know already that a beginner's training is 2 weeks for a basic course with more to follow.
So I'm interested in the time schedule and how far you got in that time.
The training was only 2 day's, a special (and absolutely senseles (my mind)) agreement with the school. Regulary SW trainings are at least 5 Days.
Background for my question are the complaints that FreeCAD is so hard to learn, while I think that 3D is hard to learn.
I think that are two different things... One is time to learn to use a tool (FC or SW (or some other CAD software)), the other is to learn "how to make " something.
To get familiar with the tool "CAD software" it make a big different which Software you are using usualy. Is it MS Office, you get more quick familiar with other software with this GUI style. Are you using "old GUI style" software, you'l find FC more easy to handle.

Of course a few FC "handling probs" are there and based of it's amount of different base WBs and it's components naming. Depending on how you like to work (start with a sketch or start with a primitive) there is a "base WB" where you start with and a few OPs of other WBs wich you need for your work.
If you are new to FC you don't personalize to your needs, because you don't know your needs and you don't know at wich WB you find the tool you need.
This results in a lot of searchung and a lot of frust... For that the first thing i show the first hour at a new course is "make FC handy".

Yes, that's in my mind the biggest obstacle on starting with FC. We "old" (longtime) FC users don't notice that, because we have our personal toolbar and know where the things are....
But a beginner is confused about it, i see that each year, if i make the first lessons at a new class.
Gruß Herbert
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

chrisb wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:32 am The link is was broken.
Which link? I think they withdrew the McLaren app from the Android App store so that link will not work.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

keithsloan52 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:07 pm
Any FreeCAD users with a NVIDA Quadro graphics card?
I have used a Quadro FX380 (dual dvi ) for the last year. Driving two 24" Dell 2405 FPW (1920 x 1200). Those monitors are cheap on Ebay. I can't imagine needing an update to the visual side of things for years to come, just need to upgrade the mother board every 3 years or so for speed. If you get a chance to see the clarity of those monitors, they are outstanding for the price.

There are many driver options for the graphic card, I haven't really seen any difference as I change things. I have seen times when the graphics card has a "all memory used up" while using FreeCAD but it is rare, maybe 3 times in a year, I do lots of backups so no big deal. The visual and usage of FreeCAD is great! I wish my model would load faster, I have an 3Ghz i3 win10. It takes 1:30 to load a 2.4meg model, it does have lots of features but that is pretty slow.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

keithsloan52 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:28 am I think the part of the mobile app for eDrawings that does augmented reality came from Bunkspeed.
That sounds logical.

herbk wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:34 am If you are new to FC you don't personalize to your needs, because you don't know your needs and you don't know at wich WB you find the tool you need.
This results in a lot of searchung and a lot of frust... For that the first thing i show the first hour at a new course is "make FC handy".
That's why I suggested some kind of wizard at first launch (inspired by the one in LIbreCAD) that would offer a few preset profiles: architecture, engineering, hobbyist CNC/3D printing... There's a Brazilian fablab that's working on it, but progress is slow. There's a Mantis ticket for it.