appimage

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
looo
Veteran

Re: appimage

Post by looo »

btw.: I don't think usr-side-packages-dir should be in sys.path for the appimage. Maybe someone else using the appimage can give some feedback.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Heads up:

Code: Select all

[foo@foo bin]$ ./appimageupdatetool-x86_64.AppImage -r FreeCAD_0.18.15671_Conda_Py3Qt5_glibc2.12-x86_64.AppImage 
Checking for updates...
Fetching release information for tag "0.18_pre" from GitHub API.
None of the artifacts matched the pattern in the update information. The pattern is most likely invalid, e.g., due to changes in the filenames of the AppImages. Please contact the author of the AppImage and ask them to revise the update information.
ZSync URL not available. See previous messages for details.
Update check failed, exiting!
EDIT: Looks like the conda appimage .zsync file was not uploaded!
See https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.18_pre
sgrogan wrote:
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

Yes, saw this yesterday, but thought the name had changed so did not look closer at it.
rentlau_64

Post by rentlau_64 »

guys
thank you for your comments
my pyside2 is installed in my anaconda env
l will try to see if i have another one in my system
and try to bypass the one in anaconda.
will keep you inform.
thank you

Rentlau
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:02 pm EDIT: Looks like the conda appimage .zsync file was not uploaded!
The upload failed. @triplus actually manages this using Travis.
"fight the good fight"
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

sgrogan wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:40 pm The upload failed. @triplus actually manages this using Travis.
triplus wrote:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I will have more time to read the latest discussions around AppImage in the following days. As for the missing file. A couple of months back i noticed deployment wasn't all that reliable. Basically each day one of the files was missing on the releases page. I observed the behavior for about a week and the result was this change. It vastly improved deployment reliability, but i guess from time to time a deployment related issue can still happen. Based on my observations this likely occurs due to the fact GitHub sometimes has "server issues" and Travis sometimes hits a "traffic bottleneck". In such scenarios Travis usually retries the deployment phase after some time and the results can be unpredictable. But as this now happens on rare occasions i wouldn't put too much though in it. The situation should sort itself out under 24 hours (scheduled build). Merging something in the repository would trigger the build/deploy phase immediately. And i guess rebuild could be triggered manually from the Travis directly. @bblacey likely is the only one ATM that could do that.

Anyway in short nothing to worry about and when it happens it should sort itself out in under 24h. If deployment reliability issues will increase again. We can explore further, on what could be further improved.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

triplus wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:36 pm Anyway in short nothing to worry about and when it happens it should sort itself out in under 24h. If deployment reliability issues will increase again. We can explore further, on what could be further improved.
The problem is that the conda appimages are pushed once a week. So if this happens to Conda, testers need to wait a week. An aside, IMO we should push new conda builds bi-weekly or even tri-weekly. Especially since most of the py3/qt5 fixes are being pushed these day...it makes little sense that the py2 builds are built more frequently than the conda py3 builds. @loooo and I have had this discussion somewhere and this is the way he prefers it.

Edit: I couldn't find where I had the conversation with @loooo but here is @sgrogan mentioning the current setup for the GH Release page: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 04#p269956
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Nop. Both AppImages are created and deployed on a daily basis. Therefore whenever @looo-ci updates the Conda based packages (currently once a week), that gets picked up by AppImage in less then 24h. As for the missing file, that therefore should fix itself tomorrow.

As for motivating @looo-ci to do more. That likely is only possible if more knowledge, hardware resources and automation gets involved.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

triplus wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:06 am Nop. Both AppImages are created and deployed on a daily basis. Therefore whenever @looo-ci updates the Conda based packages (currently once a week), that gets picked up by AppImage in less then 24h. As for the missing file, that therefore should fix itself tomorrow.
I see. Thanks for the correction and clarification. :wink:
triplus wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:06 am As for motivating @looo-ci to do more. That likely is only possible if more knowledge, hardware resources and automation gets involved.
Lets make a list then of what is needed... Maybe it can be posted to social media to see if we get any backers?