Command panel

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jaisejames

Re: Command panel

Post by jaisejames »

Is any possibility to extend as global panel?. useful for me to use array in other workbenches. :)
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

jaisejames wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:26 am Is any possibility to extend as global panel?. useful for me to use array in other workbenches. :)
Yes. Global panel mode was already implemented and will therefore get released soon. After "UUID/Domain functionality", as Global panel mode uses it.
jrdrukin

Command Panel

Post by jrdrukin »

I have found the command panel to be a very nice customization feature. It can show you most functions in FC and access them with just one click. However, noticed some unusual behaviour.
Command panel icons move when open a sketch or use other function:
I am wondering if anyone else has seen this behavior?
Thank you, Jerry/jrdrukin
Command Panel - 001 Screenshot 2019-01-17 18.00.46.png
Command Panel - 001 Screenshot 2019-01-17 18.00.46.png (153.21 KiB) Viewed 1954 times
Command Panel - 002 Screenshot 2019-01-17 18.03.45.png
Command Panel - 002 Screenshot 2019-01-17 18.03.45.png (153.45 KiB) Viewed 1954 times
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.15639 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 3f51e25b26ed19a2b17e218c8a0d438eb2e13b26
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Menu container.png
Menu container.png (38.98 KiB) Viewed 1872 times
There is now a possibility to use a dock widget or an invokable menu. As a container for commands. Invoke shortcut for menu container can be customized with ShortCuts module for FreeCAD. I do imagine frequent users will likely prefer to set a single key (global) shortcut.

P.S. Jerry thanks for testing and reporting back. I noticed such behavior in the past myself, but didn't yet investigate any possible solutions. Will bump the priority.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Support for basic domain name system got implemented. Here is how a typical domain name for a menu looks like when created by:

Developer:

Code: Select all

CPMenu.System.PartWorkbench.PartSolids
User:

CPMenu.User.StartWorkbench.89315827-0826-4a49-9181-3a888f20e8d9
Edit menu section in Preferences got updated and started utilizing domain name system support:
EditMenu.png
EditMenu.png (81.34 KiB) Viewed 1830 times
SetMenu.png
SetMenu.png (41.65 KiB) Viewed 1830 times
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

GlobalPanelMode.png
GlobalPanelMode.png (73.04 KiB) Viewed 1781 times
Sometimes it is desired, to use the same set of commands through all workbenches. Global panel mode now provides such capability.
regis

Post by regis »

Hello, I was testing this command panel for better familiarity. I like it but i may be missing something out in it's understanding. I tried to add the survey and addon manager in the top tool bars as a test to get started with but it didn't work. What am I missing?
Another question I have is that, how do you recognise if any of these dialog windows are made 1. with Qt designer (if yes is there a template?) and or 2. is made with Python? 3. Made with C++?
Attachments
Screenshot from 2019-02-04 16-48-00.png
Screenshot from 2019-02-04 16-48-00.png (287.52 KiB) Viewed 1740 times
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

regis wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:53 pm Hello, I was testing this command panel for better familiarity. I like it but i may be missing something out in it's understanding. I tried to add the survey and addon manager in the top tool bars as a test to get started with but it didn't work. What am I missing?
Soon an API is to be added. A set of predefined commands and menus for individual workbench will therefore became a possibility. In addition, when no such definitions will be provided, by developer, some commands will get extracted from the workbench toolbars. As a convenience, to always see some commands by default. That didn't yet happen and ATM you get an empty Commands panel by default as the result.

Therefore what you need to do next is to set a default menu for BIM workbench (or globally if Global panel mode is enabled). You can do that by clicking on a checkbox, located left from the menu combo box (Default).

There is no documentation available yet, but as Command panel is nearly done, that will get sorted out after. In addition it's nice to get such feedback, as i get a sense of what potential end users find intuitive or not.
Another question I have is that, how do you recognise if any of these dialog windows are made 1. with Qt designer (if yes is there a template?) and or 2. is made with Python? 3. Made with C++?
In general you i guess need to take a look in the code for clues. For example:

https://github.com/triplus/CommandPanel

No C++, no .ui files just Python (and PySide).
regis

Post by regis »

Thanks a bunch. Still testing. Will give you my feedback at somepoint but so far I like it and it think it is pretty usefull already.
By the way is there a General Icon Bank somewhere? I see alot of people on their individual macro or WB create a seperate folder for icons.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

regis wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:51 am Thanks a bunch. Still testing. Will give you my feedback at somepoint but so far I like it and it think it is pretty usefull already.
You're welcome.
By the way is there a General Icon Bank somewhere? I see alot of people on their individual macro or WB create a seperate folder for icons.
For default set of modules:

https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Artwork

from PySide import QtGui
btn = QtGui.QToolButton()
icon = QtGui.QIcon(":/icons/freecad")
btn.setIcon(icon)
btn.show()
Default set of modules usually provide icons in resource collection files. In an example it is demontrated on how you can access and use an icon from a resource collection file, path set to :/icons/freecad. From FreeCAD Python console, macro or a module.
jrdrukin wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:58 am Command panel icons move when open a sketch or use other function:
After updating command panel to the latest changes this should improve.