Preferences -- non-existent / moved Part Colors?

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
garya

Preferences -- non-existent / moved Part Colors?

Post by garya »

At the bottom of Preferences_Editor is an image of a tab in Display preferences which no longer exists. Should this be completely deleted, or is it part of some other workbench? It is not part of Part Design, Sketcher or Part preferences.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Preferences -- non-existent / moved Part Colors?

Post by chrisb »

Do you mean PartColors? I still have it.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

hi garya

do not create a new image, you need to upgrade (new version and download your image) to keep and follow the file your new image is saved with the original name file, and you write the comment

if not, the old image is lost and useless and the translator of other country must modify the name....

but with uprgade no manipulation must be made the change is done automatically in all language

Upgrade_for_follow_the_evolution00.png
Upgrade_for_follow_the_evolution00.png (30.84 KiB) Viewed 926 times

EDIT: 11h50 Paris
add link for Sketcher_Preferences

and the Sketcher in the Sketcher_Preferences
thanks
mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
garya

Post by garya »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:47 am Do you mean PartColors? I still have it.
The image I'm looking at in Preferences_Editor says "Part colors" on the 3rd tab. It is the last image on the page.
By "I still have it" do you mean when you bring up Preferences / Display, you have three tabs (3D View, Colors, Part colors)?
I'm running a version of v0.18:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.a14af0f
Build type: Release (no, built from git source)
Python version: 2.7.15
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: C/Default (C)

Are you running v0.17? Unfortunately, I can't switch at the moment as I'm on an old crippled machine that will take days to build it; waiting for a replacement mobo.
garya

Post by garya »

Hi Mario,
mario52 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:05 am
do not create a new image, you need to upgrade (new version and download your image) to keep and follow the file your new image is saved with the original name file, and you write the comment

if not, the old image is lost and useless and the translator of other country must modify the name....

but with uprgade no manipulation must be made the change is done automatically in all language

Upgrade_for_follow_the_evolution00.png

EDIT: 11h50 Paris
add link for Sketcher_Preferences

and the Sketcher in the Sketcher_Preferences
Thank you.
I apologize for messing things up. I thought the underscores in the file name were a problem and thought by using a name with hypens in it would fix that, but apparently that was not the problem.

Before adding the sketcher stuff (mistake, again, I apologize), I did a search for "Preference" and another for "Sketcher" on the https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Special ... cher&user= page and did not see any, so I assumed there were none. How can one search for these images?
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

garya wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:25 am At the bottom of Preferences_Editor is an image of a tab in Display preferences which no longer exists.
I've tested multiple builds from:

Version: 0.17.11472 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: a32972ef2f62eaffe550cccc9d1a9ac7d000b4dd
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0

to

Version: 0.18.15697 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: dedaa807629ab25cf32977d30bf7610f1346aff7
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB)

every one has the Part Colors tab in Display preferences. The only obvious change was to add a Random colors checkbox sometime in the 0.18 builds (I'll excuse the incorrect spelling of color even though I've set English/UK locale) :)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

garya wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:16 pm By "I still have it" do you mean when you bring up Preferences / Display, you have three tabs (3D View, Colors, Part colors)?
Exactly, and I'm running 0.18. Depending on which workbenches you have loaded before you might even have another tab:
Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-30 um 19.43.25.png
Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-30 um 19.43.25.png (85.66 KiB) Viewed 895 times
You can try to reset the configuration with the button in the preferences. Another possiility is to delete your config files or to move them in case you want to restore them.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I just checked in FreeCAD 0.17.13541. For the Preferences/Display/Part colors tab to appear, you need to first load the Part workbench; presumably any other workbench based on the Part module (PartDesign, Draft? Arch?) will produce the same effect.
garya

Post by garya »

NormandC wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:06 pm I just checked in FreeCAD 0.17.13541. For the Preferences/Display/Part colors tab to appear, you need to first load the Part workbench; presumably any other workbench based on the Part module (PartDesign, Draft? Arch?) will produce the same effect.
Ah, just realized that from reading previous posts. Can't play with it where I am now.

This means that not only do individual workbenches possibly have their own preference pages, they also may add some of their preferences as a new tab in one of the "base" preferences. At least the base Display preference.

Looking at the image chrisb posted, it looks like mesh wb (assuming that's where the "Mesh View" tab originated), which doesn't have its own specific preference page, does add something to the base Display page.

How does one determine where preferences for a WB should appear? Is this something individual WB designers just choose? Or do things specific to a given WB belong on a WB specific page, and things that affect more than one WB belong on a base page?

Is anyone aware of additional tabs being added to base preference pages other than Display?

Does any workbench add preferences to any other wb specific page not its own?