[SOLVED] Request for 2 new icons: Draft join and split

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bitacovir
Veteran

Re: [SOLVED] Request for 2 new icons: Draft join and split

Post by bitacovir »

yorik wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:54 pm Nice icons!!
----
Also, that tool is also able to extrude if you select a face. That has actually nothing to do with trimming, maybe it should be separated into a different tool...
Thank you.
I love that feature (face extrusion with trimming). It is like Sketchup. I agree that this feature should be a more relevant tool.
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
regis

Post by regis »

beautiful development here. I'm loving this additions on the Draft workbench.
regis

Post by regis »

yorik wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:54 pm The trim/extend tool should also gain some love
I so much agree.
yorik wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:54 pm Also, that tool is also able to extrude if you select a face. That has actually nothing to do with trimming, maybe it should be separated into a different tool...
Thats true, it works on lines and faces. but for some reason it doesn't work on planer objects. A bit counter intuitive there.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2019-01-30 12-33-25.png
Screenshot from 2019-01-30 12-33-25.png (126.07 KiB) Viewed 747 times
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

Moult wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:27 am I believe what you are describing is a trim / extend / chamfer tool, at least in AutoCAD / Revit lingo that's what it is :)
Ahaha... I'm not so original indeed... But that would be really useful I think! I like the actual behaviour of the trimex on lines better than the autocad one!
regis wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:36 pm Also, that tool is also able to extrude if you select a face.
Thats true, it works on lines and faces. but for some reason it doesn't work on planer objects. A bit counter intuitive there.
That would be also a very cool feature. Maybe when applied to a solid it should move the face in the normal direction if possible instead of extruding it? To make it most consistent throughout different objects.
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
regis

Post by regis »

carlopav wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:04 pm Maybe when applied to a solid it should move the face in the normal direction if possible instead of extruding it?
Good point, I think there is also value in having both options available i.e to just extrude and or just stretch the face. So maybe having a box to check that says extrude when we click to the Trim/Extrude command to Move/Stretch the face?
Attachments
Screenshot from 2019-01-30 18-11-33.png
Screenshot from 2019-01-30 18-11-33.png (370.81 KiB) Viewed 718 times