Alternative GUI for FreeCAD: Overlayed Layout (Devs needed)

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Alternative GUI for FreeCAD: Overlayed Layout (Devs needed)

Post by Kunda1 »

@triplus has released Glass WB which adds a transparency to the sidebars now. It's far from @ickby's achievement but nevertheless a strong step in the right direction.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Obligatory new years 'bump' to this post. :D
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
regis

Post by regis »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:41 pm Obligatory new years 'bump' to this post. :D
Totally agree. Can this be done in python aswell?
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

Can this be done in python aswell?
The way I did implement it not, it needed some changes in the c++ code. However, triplus did some good work which back then was not possible with qt4. So I have no clue how far he can get. Maybe now it is possible to achieve all I did with python only, just in annother way of implementing it.
regis

Post by regis »

ickby wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:15 am
Can this be done in python aswell?
The way I did implement it not, it needed some changes in the c++ code. However, triplus did some good work which back then was not possible with qt4. So I have no clue how far he can get. Maybe now it is possible to achieve all I did with python only, just in annother way of implementing it.
Ok is there some type of visual software that allows you to create such user interface graphically instead of programmatically?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

regis wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:19 pm Ok is there some type of visual software that allows you to create such user interface graphically instead of programmatically?
QDesigner (on windows I think it's part of QCreator, on linux you can get it standalone)
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

regis wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:19 pm Ok is there some type of visual software that allows you to create such user interface graphically instead of programmatically?
I used qt's QML language to build the UI, except of curse the panels, wich have been the default freecad ones. But the layout engine, the dragging etc, was done in qml:
http://doc.qt.io/qtcreator/creator-usin ... igner.html
regis

Post by regis »

thanks all,
first look at qt designer, lots of botton to figure out, hehe :D :D
Attachments
Screenshot from 2019-01-15 19-40-05.png
Screenshot from 2019-01-15 19-40-05.png (123.85 KiB) Viewed 2079 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Bascially you create a new widget or dialog (dialogs are meant to be standalone, while widgets are meant to be inserted in another panel), then you add controls to it (push buttons, texts or images (labels), line edit fields, etc...). You have several tools like groups, layouts and separators to help organize things better.

So for example you would want to create a new window tool. You would think of what information the user needs to provide, then you would create a dialog that makes it clear for the user how to proceed.

The next step is to make the code that gets executed when the user presses buttons, etc... But that's for later.
regis

Post by regis »

yorik wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:31 pm Bascially you create a new widget or dialog (dialogs are meant to be standalone, while widgets are meant to be inserted in another panel), then you add controls to it (push buttons, texts or images (labels), line edit fields, etc...). You have several tools like groups, layouts and separators to help organize things better.

So for example you would want to create a new window tool. You would think of what information the user needs to provide, then you would create a dialog that makes it clear for the user how to proceed.

The next step is to make the code that gets executed when the user presses buttons, etc... But that's for later.
Thanks for the startup tip, Does it allow me to create these kinds of windows aswell?
Attachments
Screenshot from 2019-01-30 12-59-04.png
Screenshot from 2019-01-30 12-59-04.png (14.17 KiB) Viewed 1948 times
Screenshot from 2019-01-29 21-13-56.png
Screenshot from 2019-01-29 21-13-56.png (109.67 KiB) Viewed 1948 times
Screenshot from 2019-01-29 21-06-51.png
Screenshot from 2019-01-29 21-06-51.png (63.28 KiB) Viewed 1948 times