Create two pads on the side of a cylinder

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
arcol

Create two pads on the side of a cylinder

Post by arcol »

Hi,

I'd like to create this drawing:
oDZXsk6.jpg
oDZXsk6.jpg (43.29 KiB) Viewed 2848 times
Thanks to tripus help on this thread:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 53#p283276

I succeed to create the bottom pad, but creating the top pad, it does not show up:
water_tank_wip1.png
water_tank_wip1.png (99.81 KiB) Viewed 2848 times
I used the exact same method for both pads as tripus suggested.
PartDesign AdditiveCylinder feature was added, Sketcher CreateCircle can be attached on XZ or YZ plane and can be used as a basis for PartDesign Pad feature
Here is the freecad file:
water_tank_wip.FCStd
(46.83 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
What do I miss? Why the top pad does not show up?

My Freecad version for reference (ubuntu freecad-daily for 18.04):

Code: Select all

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.15713 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 93dd00cc3953416bf46fb0a5b7b3c6397df6e4d0
Python version: 2.7.15rc1
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Hungarian/Hungary (hu_HU)
HarryGeier
Veteran

Re: Create two pads on the side of a cylinder

Post by HarryGeier »

HI,

pad in reverse direction, then it shows up.
The Circle´s orientation is reversed, thus the positive normal pointws inwards.

I tried to explain by using the new LCS , but yur design is weird, FC tells me the sketches do not belong to the active Body...

I would not recommend starting a design based on a cylinder or other primitive object, start with a sketch and PAD

harry
Kaum macht man´s richtig , gehts´s
My Video Tutorials on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoe3B ... p8Q/videos
My FreeCAD Stuff on Hidrive: https://my.hidrive.com/share/qr3l1yddy6#$/
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

My guess is that the OP made the sketches in sketcherWB rather than using create sketch from within PD workbench.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with starting with an additive primitive by the way.

This model can be created entirely from additive primitives, and it would actually require less steps and leave a cleaner history.

Steve.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

When creating a new sketch that will be used as a base for a feature in a body the body in question should be first set as active body (name should be BOLD - double click or rightclick/toggle active body) and then the sketch is created. You can see in Dependency graph that your sketches are outside the body:
OutOfScope.jpg
OutOfScope.jpg (251.69 KiB) Viewed 2825 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

All sketches created in Sketcher workbench are outside of bodies. All sketches created in PartDesign workbench are inside of a body.
HarryGeier wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:12 am I would not recommend starting a design based on a cylinder or other primitive object, start with a sketch and PAD
Why this? I don't have issues with them. Dependency graph is simpler, and for me modifying radius or height is less steps than using a sketch.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hi arcol,

arcol wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:03 pm It would be a water tank in the end:)
Who will fabricate it? If you have it done by a contractor, making it as a single PartDesign Body may be sufficient. But if you intend to build it yourself, then it would be better to treat each element as a separate body, so you can create separate drawings.
HarryGeier
Veteran

Post by HarryGeier »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:48 pm Why this? I don't have issues with them. Dependency graph is simpler, and for me modifying radius or height is less steps than using a sketch.

Well, we try to make the users understand to use references to sketches instead of faces and edges, these objects have no sketch underneath and thus are tempting to attach sketches to their faces. It´s a bit like mixing PD and PART . If you are experienced ynd have understood the inner works, you can surely do a lot of fragile and difficult things, but here we mostly deal with newcomers having a Problem.
Kaum macht man´s richtig , gehts´s
My Video Tutorials on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoe3B ... p8Q/videos
My FreeCAD Stuff on Hidrive: https://my.hidrive.com/share/qr3l1yddy6#$/
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

HarryGeier wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:27 am
Well, we try to make the users understand to use references to sketches instead of faces and edges, these objects have no sketch underneath and thus are tempting to attach sketches to their faces.
Good argument.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
arcol

Post by arcol »

NormandC wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:17 am Who will fabricate it? If you have it done by a contractor, making it as a single PartDesign Body may be sufficient.
Well, it is a 4m3 water tank (under the earth surface), but I'm not quite sure the guy well understood my requirements over the phone.
So I want to draw it.

I still have a couple of days to finish the drawing. The only requirement, that the tank fits my trailer, which is 1450mm wide,
thats why the 1450mm height requirement.

I have modelled the two pipes:), now I'm deep in techdraw tutorials,
my front/left/right views are all rotated in space, so each view looks like a perspective view.

The tank will be made out of 50mm thick PP sheets. I have no equipments to weld plastic that thick.
(the base sheet is that thick, I'm not sure about the sides and the top).

Thanks for the help everyone, I will post the finished drawing once I'm done.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi Harry,
HarryGeier wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:27 am Well, we try to make the users understand to use references to sketches instead of faces and edges
I don't see the advantage in that... May be you can explane it to me, - and may be it solves a bit of my prob with PD... :?
Gruß Herbert