Unwanted dependency message on deletion

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Unwanted dependency message on deletion

Post by chrisb »

If I delete a dimension from a page, I get a warning message:
These items are linked to items selected for deletion and might break.

Page

Are you sure you want to continue?
I can see from the dependency graph why this is so, but from a user's view it is strange. The use case is similar to having added a feature in PartDesign or a constraint in Sketcher, and there I never get such a message. Such a message makes me always uncomfortable because I don't know if something might really break - besides removing the measure, which I requested.

So my first question is, if there is a use case where something breaks?

And if not, is it possible to remove this question? I fear it comes from the very depths of FreeCAD.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: Unwanted dependency message on deletion

Post by wandererfan »

chrisb wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:21 am If I delete a dimension from a page, I get a warning message:
I can see from the dependency graph why this is so, but from a user's view it is strange. The use case is similar to having added a feature in PartDesign or a constraint in Sketcher, and there I never get such a message. Such a message makes me always uncomfortable because I don't know if something might really break - besides removing the measure, which I requested.

So my first question is, if there is a use case where something breaks?

And if not, is it possible to remove this question? I fear it comes from the very depths of FreeCAD.
IIRC, deleting a linked DocumentObject (should) always displays this message. It comes from Gui::StdCmdDelete. Constraints are not DocumentObjects(?) so the message doesn't appear . Not sure why deleting a Feature from the chain doesn't trigger this message, because a PartDesign::Feature is a descendant of DocumentObject. Maybe PD uses it's own delete logic? I will have to investigate.

I don't believe there is a use case where deleting a Dimension breaks the View/Page. There were problems earlier in development, but they should all be fixed by now.