Newbie: Strange behavior

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Stonefire

Newbie: Strange behavior

Post by Stonefire »

Hi all experts ;-)

I'm still working on my very first project and have run into a strange behavior. Please look at the attached file...

When I unhide the 2 objects "Hole" and "pad12" the hole draving is switching axis. All other objects in the body is ok...
Unhide fx "Hole001" everthing look like it should be.

I've also tried to analyse why "Pad012" got a exclamation mark - but without any lock
Totally the "body" is looking as I wanted it - but I realy doesn't understand a bit of this.....

Anyone that can enligthen me what this is all about - so I can avoid this failure in future projects...

Sincerly
Steen
Attachments
steen.FCStd
(995.11 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
bejant
Veteran

Re: Newbie: Strange behavior

Post by bejant »

You have a lot of stuff outside the Body, which probably shoudn't be outside the Body. Right now I'm not sure of how you want to model to be...
20190212-steen.png
20190212-steen.png (96.58 KiB) Viewed 1098 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The red exclamation marks show that there is an error. If that happens, no recompute is possible and the last state before error occurrence is shown. That's why the model seems to turn, it shows an old state.

You can see the error message if you mark the whole document for recompute (right mouse button) and do the recompute. Hovering over the error shows the error text.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The error "Pad: Result has multiple solids ..." origins from the situation shown here ...
Bildschirmfoto 2019-02-12 um 18.16.30.png
Bildschirmfoto 2019-02-12 um 18.16.30.png (13.57 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
... where you probably have turned the Cut object and are now trying to add something into plain air based on the sketch at the right without connection to the existing object.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

As extra to what bejant & chrisb said, your sketches are also absolutely not constrained, which is not recommended for model robustness.
I also remarked that your sketches are not mapped to anything (local or datum plane, or face, ...). I'm not sure if it can create troubles or not.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

openBrain wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:34 pm I also remarked that your sketches are not mapped to anything (local or datum plane, or face, ...). I'm not sure if it can create troubles or not.
Good find, that might be the reason why things all of a sudden have moved to a different place.
Stonefire

Post by Stonefire »

Hi
Thanks for all your answers. I'll try to understand them...

First: As I can see the only objects that is outside the body is Cut and cut001...or do I miss something ?

Second: How do I map my objects ? When I start a new sketch I indicate which plane it belongs to....

Are there any instructions/"Learn how to" explained into plain words how a good 3D-drawing is constructed. I'm a bit confused by the keywords part/body/baseFeature and probally a lot more

Sincerly
Steen
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Stonefire wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:38 pm First: As I can see the only objects that is outside the body is Cut and cut001...or do I miss something ?
Yes you miss something, which is very difficult to see, but bejants image of the dependency graph shows the issue by red arrows: e.g. CopyCopyCopyCopyCopyCopyCopySketch029006 lies not in the body, it only seems to be because it is positioned under the Hole feature. Just take the sketch with the mouse and move it over the body until a + sign appears and drop it.

Second: How do I map my objects ? When I start a new sketch I indicate which plane it belongs to....
You created your sketches in Sketcher workbench. That creates them outside of a body. Switch to PartDesign workbench if you want to create them inside of a body.
Are there any instructions/"Learn how to" explained into plain words how a good 3D-drawing is constructed. I'm a bit confused by the keywords part/body/baseFeature and probally a lot more
It's easy to be confused. Some people here say, that the learning curve is steep. My usual answer is, that this means you can reach a pretty high level in short time.

Concerning good design I have written some informations about sketching: Sketcher tutorial. Besides that I recommend to follow the forum at least for a while. Try for yourself, rebuild the models coming up in other posts, and don't hesitate too long to ask.
Stonefire

Post by Stonefire »

Hi chrisb
Thanks for your reply. Nice to know you all stand behind me when I fall/fail ;)

I've tried your surgestion moving the two object, but I can't see any changes.
How can I controll tht it is inside the Body or not ?
The exclamation mark is still visible...

Thanks for your surgestions regarding watching this forum. I'll do that beside reading your tutorial...Hopefully that can enlighten something for me ;-)

Sincerly

Steen
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

You can generate the Dependency Graph as bejant formerly did in the Tools menu. ;)
It will show you how the items are organized.

EDIT : I think that renaming the tree objects with short unambiguous names would help.