Newbie: Strange behavior

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Newbie: Strange behavior

Post by chrisb »

You cannot see any change except in the Std DependencyGraph, which bejant has shown before, until you attach the sketch to the right plane. Make the origin and the sketch visible, select the right plane and attach the sketch with Menu->PartDesign->Map sketch to face or the equivalent icon.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Stonefire

Post by Stonefire »

Hi Chrisb

Ok I've got it - getting a nice overwiev..
Is it necessary til map all sketches ?

Sincerly
Steen
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I would always do it, and as you can see in your model: without doing so you can have unpredictable results.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Stonefire

Post by Stonefire »

Thanks !

I think I'll start all over copy all sketches into a body to get it from the start. Maybe that will help me in understaning Freecad ;-)

sincerly
Steen
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Stonefire wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:21 am I think I'll start all over copy all sketches into a body to get it from the start.
You don't have to start all over. From the history tree, select a Sketch that is outside the Body, then drag it up the history tree until it is over "Body", then the cursor will show a + sign, then drop it into Body. This will fix a lot of errors in your model.

If you decide to start from scratch, open your old file, then do File > New and copy your Sketches into the new file as you go along (and give them sensible names), instead of recreating your Sketches from nothing. Re-use your old Sketches.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

And also think about fully constraining your sketches. :)
Stonefire

Post by Stonefire »

Hi OpenBrain and Bejant

Thanks for your helping replies. I appreciate it a lot...
I did a combi ;-)
Made a new project and copied all my sketches into the body. Now it looks 12.png
I've renamed the most of them, but a few still got this looong copycopy - I can't figure out how that can be...
Same with the red lines ... what are the indicating ? Some have others not.... I can't find the difference.....

Afterwards I did all the"map to face" as one of you recommended. Some of the sketches did move strange, but I think after some time they are in place again....

Next step is to make the loft ones more ? or do i have to make another step to make it better.... other things to be aware of ? YES! the constrained thing - maybe I should go back and check all the sketches....

Sincerly
Steen
Attachments
12.PNG
12.PNG (122.05 KiB) Viewed 573 times
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Stonefire wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:35 pm Thanks for your helping replies. I appreciate it a lot...
You're welcome, I'm glad to help.

Stonefire wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:35 pm Made a new project and copied all my sketches into the body. Now it looks 12.png
Your Dependency Graph shows that the Sketches are still outside the Body. Drag and drop them into Body.
Edit: Sorry, scratch that, they are already in the Body. Don't know what I was looking at...

Stonefire wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:35 pm I've renamed the most of them, but a few still got this looong copycopy - I can't figure out how that can be...
A Sketch has a label, internal to FreeCAD, and even if you change the name the internal label isn't changed. You must have copied some Sketches quite a few times to have so many CopyCopyCopy in the label.

Stonefire wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:35 pm Same with the red lines ... what are the indicating ?
That there is an error. Those red arrows will probably go away after you drag the Sketches into the Body.

Stonefire wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:35 pm Afterwards I did all the"map to face" as one of you recommended.
Mapping a Sketch onto a Face of the model can make the model break easily if it is changed. I't's better to Map your Sketches onto standard Planes, if you can.

blue and strike-through = edit
Last edited by bejant on Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stonefire

Post by Stonefire »

Hi

I assumed that all sketches was in the body - it did look like..... I've tried to move those with red lines into the body, but are not allowed....
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

bejant wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:55 pm
Stonefire wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:35 pm Made a new project and copied all my sketches into the body. Now it looks 12.png
Your Dependency Graph shows that the Sketches are still outside the Body. Drag and drop them into Body.
Don't agree. :) It seems that sketches are well inside body (even if there is still a box that we can't read at the right of it) but they still have a problem like self-dependency or maybe it comes from bad mapping (I'm not an expert there).
2 things at this step :
* Your screenshot shows the Part WB. If you want to use body+sketches, you should stick with the PartDesign WB ;)
* I would advise to go forward smoothly. Copy-paste a sketch in your new design, fix it, then use it (pad or packet or whatever) ; then only do it again with the following sketch.

It could be very helpful that you attach your file for diagnostic purposes. If it's too large in size, you can remove most of the sketches and just leave some of them.