fcFEM - FEA from start to finish

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

bernd
Veteran

Re: fcFEM - FEA from start to finish

Post by bernd »

:shock: :)
HarryvL
Veteran

Post by HarryvL »

Got the interface elements working. Identifying the interface elements from FC mesh data and extracting the relevant information was the greatest challenge. The actual finite element implementation is a matter of a few hours.

Example of a sliced block with interface normal stiffness high and shear stiffness zero. The top face is pushed down and restrained in lateral directions, as is the bottom face.

Sliced_Block_1.jpg
Sliced_Block_1.jpg (36.1 KiB) Viewed 1817 times

out.gif
out.gif (315.21 KiB) Viewed 1817 times

The blocks are assembled in a compound and the Coherence Mesh parameter for the GMSH object is set to FALSE to make sure that two sets of nodes are generated at the interface.
HarryvL
Veteran

Post by HarryvL »

And it exports well to VTK / ParaView:

Sliced_Cube_1.png
Sliced_Cube_1.png (110.47 KiB) Viewed 1776 times
thschrader
Veteran

Post by thschrader »

Harry, give us a break. :)
Can you explain what you are doing?
No math, just words..
HarryvL
Veteran

Post by HarryvL »

Hi Thomas,

General/motivation; there are quite a few practical and interesting engineering problems that are hard to do or even impossible with the current FreeCAD/Calculix combination and I don’t think adding more external solvers or waiting for their developer(s) is the answer. For example: mixed meshes (sandwich panels, soil/structure interaction, pre-stressed concrete, bridges), analysis beyond limit points (plastic collapse of frames, plates and soil bodies, non-linear buckling of structures, etc.)

Specific: I built a macro that takes FC mesh and material data and performs the basic tasks of a finite element program. Now I am adding functionality that allows me to do the analyses that were previously out of reach. Zero-thickness elasto-plastic interface elements were high on the list for me as they are a simple and robust alternative for (small deformation) contact problems and can be used in mixed meshes to model the interaction (e.g. cohesive or frictional slip) between 1D/2D structural elements and the surrounding 3D matrix (eg concrete reinforcement, soil anchors, tunnel linings, foundation plates, piles).

Status: basic linear elastic solver framework and curved 2D interface elements work, although I am still running into trouble with more complex contact geometries. This is work in progress.

Next steps: 1) calculate and export stress results (note: interface elements are really handy to visualize contact stresses); 2) extend the solver framework to handle plasticity and collapse (simplest example being the slip and pull-out of structural elements along elasto-plastic interfaces); 3) include simple, traditional, beams and shell elements; 4) include general material and geometric non-linearity for 1D, 2D and 3D elements; 5) Add essential QT5 GUI functionality to provide specific input; 6) Make available for testing.
Pauvres_honteux

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

HarryvL wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:47 pm ...handle plasticity and collapse (and buckling?) (simplest example being the slip and pull-out of structural elements along elasto-plastic interfaces);

3) include simple, traditional, beams (idealized fasteners) and shell elements (isotropic and non isotropic).
4) include general material and geometric non-linearity for 1D, 2D and 3D elements (fiber reinforced sandwiched material).
5) Add essential QT5 GUI functionality to provide specific input (lots of automagical stuff =Ob ).
This is where my salivating glands got into high gear! I interpret this as crash simulations are within reach? Please say yes! :)
HarryvL
Veteran

Post by HarryvL »

I plan to provide basic finite element functionality and bolt on features if and when needed for a specific design challenge. As this will be FOSS at some point, others can do the same.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

HarryvL wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:06 am I plan to provide basic finite element functionality and bolt on features if and when needed for a specific design challenge. As this will be FOSS at some point, others can do the same.
Not wanting to get too excited here but I'm getting excited :lol:
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
polymer

Post by polymer »

HarryvL wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:30 pm And it exports well to VTK / ParaView:

Sliced_Cube_1.png
Is it possible to use the converter without FreeCAD?
Only for calculix results?
HarryvL
Veteran

Post by HarryvL »

@Polymer, the above FEA results are not generated by Calculix.