two questions on my attic design

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
brjhaverkamp

two questions on my attic design

Post by brjhaverkamp »

Hello all,

I am having some problems with my design for our new attic (zolder in dutch). I have attached the file to this mail.
Problem 1: I created a floorplan for each of the dormers. But somehow the visibility of the window object doesn't adhere to the visibility of the floorplan. I can make the floorplan invisible, but the window that is part of this 'group' stays visible. Is this a bug? Is it intended? Am I overlooking a setting?
Problem 2: I created a new floorplan for the cabinets (still called floor) But it shows up twice now in my tree view. Once as part of the building, once as part of the Part. how can I remove it under building and only make it show up in the tree under part?

Kind regards,

Bert

P.S. Any other comment on my freecad ARCH skills, and the organization of my structure are welcome as well:-)
Attachments
3D Zolder v9.FCStd
(942.37 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: two questions on my attic design

Post by chrisb »

Moved to Arch forum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
regis

Post by regis »

brjhaverkamp wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:45 am I am having some problems with my design for our new attic (zolder in dutch). I have attached the file to this mail.
Problem 1: I created a floorplan for each of the dormers. But somehow the visibility of the window object doesn't adhere to the visibility of the floorplan. I can make the floorplan invisible, but the window that is part of this 'group' stays visible. Is this a bug? Is it intended? Am I overlooking a setting?
I can't tell if it's a bug of it's it is meant to work this way and for what reason, but i've noticed it my self for a pretty long time that windows don't tend to take on the properties of their parent wall. You can test this simply, draw a simple wall in a new file and put a window there, then hide the wall, you will the window is still visible. So in alot of instances in past you have to litterally select the window and hide it itself. I know it defies the logic of how these should work.
brjhaverkamp wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:45 am Problem 2: I created a new floorplan for the cabinets (still called floor) But it shows up twice now in my tree view. Once as part of the building, once as part of the Part. how can I remove it under building and only make it show up in the tree under part?
What version of freecad are you using? Depending on your version, if you have the latest version there is a "right click" and "remove from group" option, once you do that, it will go into the tree view, and then you just drag it into its proper place.
Menu_001.png
Menu_001.png (37.27 KiB) Viewed 1871 times
Screenshot from 2019-02-12 10-29-27.png
Screenshot from 2019-02-12 10-29-27.png (52.5 KiB) Viewed 1871 times
brjhaverkamp wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:45 am P.S. Any other comment on my freecad ARCH skills, and the organization of my structure are welcome as well:-)
Not much comments but perhaps you could have put everything in just one floor plan part. Instead of having too many floor plan parts as you have there.
Attachments
3D Zolder v9.FCStd
(948.13 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
brjhaverkamp

Post by brjhaverkamp »

Hello Regis,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question. I'm a big fan of your Arch tutorials. They started me using the Arch workbench!
Regarding question 1. Good to see I didn't miss anything obvious. And I can not imagine this is the intended behavour, so I opened a bug report for it: https://www.freecadweb.org/tracker/view.php?id=3833

Regarding question 2: I should have mentioned it in the first post. I downloaded the latest version to verify, before posting the problem
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.15816 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 7ee0e4d43909ec688299b8498b240cccf8362c47
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)

But I don't see the same right-click menu as you do (see below screenshot) What version are you using?
Screenshot (24).png
Screenshot (24).png (449.9 KiB) Viewed 1820 times
Thanks for your comment on my drawing in general.The floorplans are meant to allow easy hiding of logical parts of the attic. But I could also have used groups. (I switched over now)

Kind regards,

Bert
furti

Post by furti »

regis wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:32 pm windows don't tend to take on the properties of their parent wall
I think this is because the wall does not know anything about its windows. Instead the window knows what wall it belongs to.

But maybe it is possible that the wall informs the windows about a change to visibility. Similar to the approach it uses in the claimchildren method to find the windows?
brjhaverkamp

Post by brjhaverkamp »

I'm not sure how the relation between the wall and the window is arranged.
The wall has a hole in it where you place the window, so it has some knowledge of the window.

But in either case, I tried to put them both in a group and in a floorplan. Toggling the visibility of the group/floorplan should have triggered the visibility of the window. ... But it doesn't.
furti

Post by furti »

I created a pull request that should fix the visibility problem of Windows. https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/1971

Maybe @yorik can have a look at this. I don't know if this has some performance issues on larger models or some other drawbacks. :)
regis

Post by regis »

brjhaverkamp wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:42 am But I don't see the same right-click menu as you do (see below screenshot) What version are you using?
Well that menu appears this complete when you are in the BIM workbench, so you can download the BIM workbench with the AddOn Manager
Tools -> Addon Manager -> Look for BIM workbench. Install and restart Freecad, and you should have that menu.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.15860 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 3b708c7f84b0425076b520e1d95627b20fd75fe0
Python version: 2.7.15rc1
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/Canada (en_CA)
brjhaverkamp

Post by brjhaverkamp »

Hello Furti, Regis,

Thanks for your pull request! I have mailed Yorik in the hope he can pull this in still before the 0.18 release.
And @Regis, I will try the BIM workbench to get to the menu. If so, shouldn't this menu item also be added in Arch? It looks like a very logical thing to have there.

Regards,

Bert
furti

Post by furti »

The pull request was merged so this should be fixed with one of the next builds. :)