One job, multiple operations returning to origin between operations

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
stylesuxx

One job, multiple operations returning to origin between operations

Post by stylesuxx »

Hello,
I have searched but could not find anything - maybe I use the wrong terminology, if this has been answered already please feel free to link me to the according post.

I am in the path view, added a job. This job consists of two operations, a pocket shape and a contour.
After the pocket shape operation is done, the tool returns to the origin, then back to the entry of the pocket shape and then moves to the entry point of the contour.

I was wondering if there is a setting that allows me to directly move the tool to the entry of the contour once the pocket shape is done, instead of returning to the origin first.

I hope you can understand what I mean - if not, I could upload a screengrab from the simulation.

I am using Freecad version 0.18
Attachments
heart.fcstd
(24.85 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: One job, multiple operations returning to origin between operations

Post by chrisb »

Moved to Path forum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You can try using different start points.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
stylesuxx

Post by stylesuxx »

chrisb wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:22 pm You can try using different start points.
Thank you for your answer - that was one of the things I tried but the tool is still moving to the origin before moving to the starting point and executing the cut.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi,
you don't have to do anything - the first red line is only shown at the screen.

At the machine, the tool starts "where it is" and go's to "save height" -> "start of milling". If your first path is finish, the tool returns only to "save height", X /Y "where it is". From there it go's to start point of the secound path.

If you take a look at the gcode, you will notice this behavior.
Last edited by herbk on Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gruß Herbert
stylesuxx

Post by stylesuxx »

herbk wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:59 pm If you take a look at the gcode, you will notice this behavior.
Oh, you are right - thank you. Now I feel like an idiot for not having looked at the gcode.

Danke.
frankbuss

Post by frankbuss »

I noticed this, too. Didn't look at the g-code so far. But I think this is a bug then and should be changed in the simulation. After all, it says "Simulate Path G-Code".
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

stylesuxx wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:13 pm
herbk wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:59 pm If you take a look at the gcode, you will notice this behavior.
Oh, you are right - thank you. Now I feel like an idiot for not having looked at the gcode.

Danke.
Thank you for taking the time to ask the question. This seems to confuse most people and while IMO it doesn't quality as a bug, I do think that we should discuss the behaviour and potential alternatives.

Thanks,

Dan