Newbie: Strange behavior

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Newbie: Strange behavior

Post by chrisb »

I would suggest to make them from scratch as well so that you start rightaway with the correct attachment.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

chrisb wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:55 am Sorry, not being a native english speaker I thought it was a commonly used word.
Extremely common, but typically expanded to "plain vanilla".

Gene
Stonefire

Post by Stonefire »

Hi both

Before starting all over I was playing around trying to set a border following the roof. Image
That's my last issue - I know I'm getting off topic the starting headline ......but....
I've tried to make a additivesweep with a circle 0.2mm, but can't get it to follow the surface properly....

Since I haven't startet from scratch - my file is getting to big for attaching.....

Sincerly

Steen
Attachments
Udklip.JPG
Udklip.JPG (26.85 KiB) Viewed 631 times
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Personnaly, I would have drawn all the "ribs" from a sketch that would sit some millimeters over the roof and pad it up to the first face (i.e. the outer face of the roof). Then make a boolean intersection with a shape that would be the roof envelope slightly over-scaled (typically a scaled clone of what was AdditiveLoft in your original design, same way as you did to hollow the roof).
But maybe there are better and simpler ways. ;)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The technique known as "Wilfried's trick" might help you to get the path for the sweep: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 45#p165745.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Stonefire

Post by Stonefire »

Hi

Thanks to you both for inputs. I'll try them both to find the best method - it might not be the last time I've have to do this...

Sincerly
Steen
Stonefire

Post by Stonefire »

Hi both

Easy, when you got good teachers ;)
tag.JPG
tag.JPG (32.27 KiB) Viewed 569 times
After som trial & errors I finally found out. Made a independent sweep and connected it to my body....I thumbled around making it inside the body, but it got all black, for somereason... It might not be the best way, but it worked ! ... hmmm maybe not: just discovered when exporting I can't get all parts into the stl-file.....

Wich brings me to another quistion:

As the structure I've build up now every pocket and pad are dependent of the previous element - this gives me a headache when deleting something as the relation are breaking. A better structure must be all parts related back onto the basic-structure independetly

How do I make the best structure when having a basic figure with several details attached unto it ? because the way I've done it it is obvious not the right way ..

Sincerly
Steen