Color Parts

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wmayer
Founder

Re: Color Parts

Post by wmayer »

I cannot confirm. For me everything works as expected.
I can confirm this on my outdated version:
Any chance to get a newer version?
I'm pretty sure it's the saving. I compared Document.xml with a plain cube and found only differences in creation time and uuids.
List of colors are not saved in the Document.xml file. They will be saved in an extra file called DiffuseColor (or DiffuseColor1 or DiffuseColor2 ...)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

wmayer wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:50 pm Any chance to get a newer version?
The plan is to send a Mac next week to looo, and hopefully we will get a current Mac Version.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

chrisb wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:07 am
wmayer wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:50 pm Any chance to get a newer version?
The plan is to send a Mac next week to looo, and hopefully we will get a current Mac Version.
Well, the issue you reported is not OS specific. So, no chance to get a newer version on any other OS?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

It's the same on Ubuntu:
setColor.gif
setColor.gif (246.15 KiB) Viewed 1235 times
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.15860 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 3b708c7f84b0425076b520e1d95627b20fd75fe0
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Chris, what I see in your animated GIF seems perfectly normal to me. What the File --> Revert menu does is to load up the content of the .FCStd1 backup file, which is created when you save your document, but with the preceding state of the "Set color..." operation. The last backup document is always one operation behind from the actual document.

You need to close the file, then reopen it again, if you want to check that the "Set colors..." operation was saved correctly.

For me, colors are preserved when I close the document and open it back.

BTW how are you adding the timer?

Version: 0.18.15897 (Git)
Hash: 36dc7b42425dcb08abf6313c6dee6ce306b7bcdc
Python version: 3.6.7
Qt version: 5.9.5
Locale: French/Canada (fr_CA)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

NormandC wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:37 pm What the File --> Revert menu does is to load up the content of the .FCStd1 backup file, which is created when you save your document,
I'm afraid here you are wrong. I use "Revert" frequently after having tested around and I always get the last saved state. I tested with setting the color for the whole body, and there after "Revert" the color is preserved.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

NormandC wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:37 pm BTW how are you adding the timer?
I almost forgot this. It's kind of a fake: I used a linux inside a virtual machine and the screen is recorded by the Mac host system.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

OK, there is something really weird going on. This morning, I am positive that when I saved a document with colors set, closed it and opened it back, the colors were preserved. The document was a Body with an additive cube.

But I'm trying it again, and now it doesn't work. Furthermore, I tried a second time with a new file, and as soon as I set colors on the additive cube, it suddenly hid itself and there is no way to turn its visibility on again. :?

Third try: create Body with additive box, set color of top face, then save document (previously I was saving the document before setting colors). I close it and open it back: color is preserved.

Edit: 4th try, new color for front face of additive box: color is lost at reopen. :?

2nd edit: two more tries, both successful. It's a roll of the dice...

Version: 0.18.15897 (Git)
Hash: 36dc7b42425dcb08abf6313c6dee6ce306b7bcdc
Python version: 3.6.7
Qt version: 5.9.5
Locale: French/Canada (fr_CA)
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

chrisb wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:08 am I'm afraid here you are wrong. I use "Revert" frequently after having tested around and I always get the last saved state. I tested with setting the color for the whole body, and there after "Revert" the color is preserved.
I'll take your word for it, I was sure it was using the backup file for revert... :oops:
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

NormandC wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:42 am It's a roll of the dice...
Same here. Now it seems to work more often, than to fail. I have tried selecting different planes to attach, active/non active body, file exists/not exists. Every time I think I found a system the next confirming try I cannot reproduce.

Right now I wonder how I could record the screencast :? .