Preferences dialog too big

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kisolre
Veteran

Re: Preferences dialog too big

Post by kisolre »

I consider this a bug.
I tried the following: Changed the screen resolution to 1600x900. Restarted FreeCad, opened preferences dialog and the buttons are visible again only in half. Then I changed the title bar height to its minimum from windows display properties and more of the dialog was visible but not the whole of it. The bottomright corner resizing spot was visible and could be dragged but this only changed the width of the dialog. Then with the dialog open I changed display resolution to the original 1920x1080 and now the whole dialog is visible (900+ pixels high) and dragging the botton changes the height but only to increase it above the original 900+ pixels. It is not possible to make it smaller. There is probably a misplaced min/max settings which sets tha min value to the max posible size. Closing and reopening the dialog assigned som strange value to the min height but after restarting Freecad the dialog again is offscreen.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

My guess is more that window sizing is "correctly" defined but it looks like it is done before all widgets are added and layout (which dominantly overwrites the size parameter).
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

openBrain wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:41 pm My guess is more that window sizing is "correctly" defined but it looks like it is done before all widgets are added and layout (which dominantly overwrites the size parameter).
Did you red the part with the screen resolution change while the dialog is open? The dialog stays the same and can be made higher but not lower than its original size when opened in the lower resolution.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

kisolre wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:45 pm Did you red the part with the screen resolution change while the dialog is open? The dialog stays the same and can be made higher but not lower than its original size when opened in the lower resolution.
I read. ;)
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Created issue #3848
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Can you please go through all groups (General, Display, ...) and all tabs of the preferences dialog to find that page that occupies all space? Usually this problem is caused if there are too many settings put into a single page which cab be easily fixed by splitting the page into two pages.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

On my poor resolution screen, lot of pages overspan.
For example : General/Document, Display/3D view, Start, Sketcher/General, ...
But worse, as you can see below on a screenshot (full screen height), there is no scroll bar in the left pane so I'm not able to reach the settings below Sketcher (eg. Draft, Techdraw)...
Fortunately on Linux, the window can be maximized, which makes the scroll bar to appear in every pane (widget layout recomputing I guess). ;)
pref_window.png
pref_window.png (125.18 KiB) Viewed 919 times
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

General/Editor and Sketcher/General fills all. No vertical scroller in any tab. This was at 1080 height. So I closed the preferences dialog , kept FreeCAD running and changed the resolution to 1600x900. I opened Preferences and now all tabs have vertical scrollbars even the ones that dont need one. While in 1600x900 I restarted FreeCAD and there are no scrolbart in any tab, all fields fit vertically, can't reach to move the bottom border, cant edit from top border. 1366x768 - all tabs have scrollbars afrer fresh start, window height is editable from bottom and from top. 1600x1050 - same as 1366x768. 1280x1024 - same as 1366x768.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

For example : General/Document, Display/3D view, Start, Sketcher/General, ...
I guess the culprit is Sketcher/General as this looks like the most overloaded page. Other pages like General/Editor have either set the size policy to expand or use spacers to occupy the available space. But these pages do not prevent the user from making them smaller.
But worse, as you can see below on a screenshot (full screen height), there is no scroll bar in the left pane so I'm not able to reach the settings below Sketcher (eg. Draft, Techdraw)...
That's odd. When I load all workbenches then the list view shows a scroll bar to me. But nevertheless you should still be able to navigate to all groups by either the mouse wheel or by selecting an item and then use the arrow down/up keys.
Fortunately on Linux, the window can be maximized, which makes the scroll bar to appear in every pane (widget layout recomputing I guess).
Then maybe something is wrong with the logic to show the scroll bar.
I opened Preferences and now all tabs have vertical scrollbars even the ones that dont need one.
This is because the widget container that keeps all pages itself will be embedded into a scroll area widget.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

wmayer, thanks for the fix, waiting for a build to test.