Creating a pocket in an existing model

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Redbull-wings-

Creating a pocket in an existing model

Post by Redbull-wings- »

Hello,

I am new to FreeCAD and long out of practice with CAD software. I'm getting back in for the purpose of creating and modifying designs for use in 3D printing and appreciate your help!

First, if you have any basic tutorials for re-introducing someone to CAD I'd greatly appreciate it. I've already watched the MarthamEngineering series which was helpful.

Second, I am specifically trying to "cut" a design into an existing model I obtained from another user. I've imported the sketches and oriented them to the piece but am at a loss on the best way to remove material from the existing model in this shape. My thought was to sketch the design and then create a pocket with the part design workbench but I can't seem to figure it out as it says there is no " active body".

I've uploaded my file
Golf Ball Stencil.FCStd
(125.26 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
and my version number is 0.17. Please let me know if you need more information and I will be happy to provide it. Thank you for your time!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Creating a pocket in an existing model

Post by chrisb »

You don't have really a FreeCAD model, you only have an imported Mesh, probably from an STL. There are several topics and tutorials around how to work with these. There are basically two steps to be performed in Part workbench:
- Create shape from Mesh
- Convert to solid.

Now you can use it as a BaseFeature in a PartDesign Body.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Vincent B
Veteran

Post by Vincent B »

I've tried to make your part.
But you should make new the mesh with PartDesign.
https://ufile.io/lleym
Make 2 pockets through all with the sketches (reverse one sketch), because the file became huge with them 10 Mo.
Attachments
Capture.png
Capture.png (194.4 KiB) Viewed 622 times
Redbull-wings-

Post by Redbull-wings- »

Thank you both for your informative replys! I was able to get it to work, exported, and printed in just a few hours. I really appreciate your time!
Attachments
Success!
Success!
IMG_20190218_193809974.jpg (61.57 KiB) Viewed 604 times