Cant import files

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Nemonekto

Cant import files

Post by Nemonekto »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.5235 (Git shallow)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 549e8ec)
Hash: 549e8ec8070b6e3064d606010a26e8033d239a99
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 5.11.2
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)

Hello FreeCAD Community,
I am trying to assemble my first group.
When trying to import the parts, no files are shown at all.

When I first tried to save the seperate files I already had the problem, that they were saved as a .zip and couldn't be opened at all.
I figured out that I have to add the ending .fcstd manually for it to be compatible.
But even then the file can be only opened per double click and not via the GUI because it just is not visible.

Does anybody have a clue on what the problem might be ?

Greetings
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Cant import files

Post by chrisb »

Moved to Assembly forum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Hi Nemonekto, welcome to the forum.

You have either fumbled manually in the FreeCAD info or you have a very outdated version. If it's the latter, please update to a current version. For the new assembly stuff it might even be neccessary to use 0.18 (not sure about this).
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Nemonekto

Post by Nemonekto »

It is not just the 'new assembly' stuff that is not working.
It is the basic 'open' command.
I was just able to work around it by double clicking the .fcstd
but that is not an option for the assembling, since more than just one file is needed.
I didn't changed anything manually since I used the programm for the first time.
And the version is the most recent 0.17 from the application manager
so it should be compatible to my OS.
I don't think that the experimental version is needed to use a basic function like
open or import.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

Nemonekto wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:33 am OS: Linux
Version: 0.17.5235 (Git shallow)
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 5.11.2
OCC version: 7.3.0
that's a weird combination... Python2 goes often with Qt4, and Qt5 with Python3. And yet OCC 7.3.0 is nearly the latest release, with the stable 0.17 ... where did you get your FreeCAD from ? Did you try the latest shiny version ? That's the one I — and many others here around — are using.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I move this topic back to help section.
Nemonekto wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:08 pm And the version is the most recent 0.17 from the application manager
I don't think that the experimental version is needed to use a basic function like
open or import.
Your version is not a stable version either. The fact that some software manager offers it for installation doesn't make things better. Have a look at https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Install_on_Unix and install either current 0.17 or as said before 0.18. Noone here knows which bugs your version has, there have been almost 8000 improvements from yours to the current stable 0.17. If you don't want to use something experimental, don't use that version.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Nemonekto wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:08 pm And the version is the most recent 0.17 from the application manager
Is this perhaps a snap package?
"fight the good fight"
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Zolko wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:18 pm Did you try the latest shiny version ? That's the one I — and many others here around — are using.
Nothing wrong with realthunder's version, but it should strongly pointed out that this is a fork of the official version. It may not work the same as the latest official version. I do not think it is regularly rebased, so it does not have a lot of the recent fixes in the official master version.

(Yes, I have a copy of the latest shiny version, but I also have a very recent copy of the official version.)

Gene
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

GeneFC wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:26 am it should strongly pointed out that this is a fork of the official version.
there is lots of room for debate around this subject, I'm not sure how strongly you'd want this to be emphasised.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

chrisb wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:07 pm Hi Nemonekto, welcome to the forum.

You have either fumbled manually in the FreeCAD info or you have a very outdated version.
Deep in the FreeCAD source, there is a file (don't remember which, or where) that fills the version info with arbitrary values if the Version.h file is not built successfully. The default revision number used to be 5235, I believe it was changed recently.

I think this numbering happens with Linux distribution packages that strip the Git history from the FreeCAD source before compiling the package, or do not use Git as build dependency; as the mechanism to extract the FreeCAD info relies on Git tools.