Simple iconTheme (v0.5)

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: Simple iconTheme (v0.5)

Post by triplus »

Hi Pablo.

I wanted to wait with this proposal, and to ask for your opinion, once FreeCAD 0.19 development cycle would start. But as now is February and a month or two could easily pass, before the actual FreeCAD 0.18 release happens. Are you interested in adding missing icons, for commands added in FreeCAD 0.18 development cycle?

If yes, my plan is to achieve this things:
  • You adding the missing icon artwork. Basically going over all workbenches, and to add missing icons for new commands on toolbars.
  • We pack that in a theme pack. I will help you with this.
  • I create and release a new version of IconThemes module.
  • I prepare a PR, as upstream code needs small adjustments here and there. For better overall icon themes support.
I estimate all this should be achievable before April. If we miss the FreeCAD 0.18 release, then FreeCAD 0.19 is still on schedule. Things like drop down menus, that should be supported, using this new approach.
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

Hi Triplus,

My answer is yes, I'm interested but I cannot tell you how quick or slow it will be to design all the icons that left because lately I'm pretty busy with other projects.
Anyway, we could get help from other designers: I can create a similar guidelines as @agryson made for the Tango icons but for my "simple icons" style. That way it would be easier for them to collaborate.

Finally, it would be fantastic to have an official update on this so that FreeCAD natively let the user select not only a stylesheet but a icon theme too.

Cheers
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

pablogil wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:28 pm Hi Triplus,

My answer is yes, I'm interested but I cannot tell you how quick or slow it will be to design all the icons that left because lately I'm pretty busy with other projects.
Great.
Anyway, we could get help from other designers: I can create a similar guidelines as @agryson made for the Tango icons but for my "simple icons" style. That way it would be easier for them to collaborate.

Finally, it would be fantastic to have an official update on this so that FreeCAD natively let the user select not only a stylesheet but a icon theme too.

Cheers
Sounds good.

Reference:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 20#p286055
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

Hello everyone.
Some time ago I started my investigation attempt of redesigning Freecad icons in Blender 2.8 style
Trying to figure out shapes.
Here is current satate of wip.
Also, SVG in attach
1D_ICONSET_DARK_19-02-2019.png
1D_ICONSET_DARK_19-02-2019.png (329.1 KiB) Viewed 2777 times
Attachments
1D_ICONSET_DARK_19-02-2019.zip
(226.69 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

Wow! They looks really pro! Love them
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
dulouie

Post by dulouie »

Looks really good! I would support using them as standard symbols.
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

Thank you)
Before me was done a lot of excellent work.
I made a half way of icon shapes redesign rescently, but still not shure about color coding scheme.
All of this will need to be properly tested.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I see you have used a bit different style, compared to the one @pablogil used. Therefore i am guessing two icon packs could be the final result. Or more, as using different color schemes can make sense. From past discussions i know that some like monochrome and some variants with more color. Maybe if there is some common agreement involved, on the monochrome approach. Some of the effort could be combined and one icon pack with most basic icons could be made as a basis for other variants. As there is still a lot of icons missing. :)
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

triplus wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:16 pm Image

I see you have used a bit different style, compared to the one @pablogil used. Therefore i am guessing two icon packs could be the final result. Or more, as using different color schemes can make sense. From past discussions i know that some like monochrome and some variants with more color. Maybe if there is some common agreement involved, on the monochrome approach. Some of the effort could be combined and one icon pack with most basic icons could be made as a basis for other variants. As there is still a lot of icons missing. :)
Wow! Quite clean, nice to see, reads pretty much well)
Also, I've started to make them bigger to match default icons size. It has got sense when I faced specific tools.
My goal is to provide variation with determined style, I trying to сome out without transparent fills and with single linetype width only.
Heavy minimal style, kind a self challenge.
Wonder if this will work)
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

Up
Finishing shapes
1D_ICONSET_DARK_2019-02-20.png
1D_ICONSET_DARK_2019-02-20.png (362.38 KiB) Viewed 2624 times
Attachments
1D_ICONSET_DARK_2019-02-20.zip
(261.28 KiB) Downloaded 117 times