Arch Add in v.18 broken

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Bojan_Bekic

Arch Add in v.18 broken

Post by Bojan_Bekic »

Hello guys,

In the development v.18 if you try to for ex. add a window to the wall with the Arch Add tool, it's impossible. The tool ignores the order in which the objects are selected and always makes the last one created the "parent", so if the window is created after the wall, the wall becomes it's child.

Anyone else seeing this?
regis

Re: Arch Add in v.18 broken

Post by regis »

Bojan_Bekic wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:46 pm Hello guys,

In the development v.18 if you try to for ex. add a window to the wall with the Arch Add tool, it's impossible. The tool ignores the order in which the objects are selected and always makes the last one created the "parent", so if the window is created after the wall, the wall becomes it's child.

Anyone else seeing this?
Sounds like a familiar bug, but can you please show us pics, and files and your version of Freecad etc etc and all information to help us understand so we can replicate it on our systems as well? really helpful
Bojan_Bekic

Post by Bojan_Bekic »

Hi, I thought everyone experiences this, since I noticed it a few builds back. I use a AppImages, because for some reason the Freecad ppa's don't work on my Neon 5.15.

Here's the file and the screenshot.

Spec:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.15969 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 4765b7e2fe6d3609e9fbf3e3eb6648d7af1dd526
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Serbian/Serbia (sr_RS)

Sooo, It's not widespread? :)
Attachments
screen.jpg
screen.jpg (143.42 KiB) Viewed 2201 times
Simple example.FCStd
(42.11 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Bojan_Bekic

Post by Bojan_Bekic »

Already in this basic example the tree became a mess?

I've noticed one more unrelated issue, maybe should open another thread. When you turn on a very very helpful option in the Draft preferences "When drawing lines, set focus on Length instead of x coordinate", then all the other modifier tools loose keyboard focus so it's impossible to type in values while moving things, for ex.
regis

Post by regis »

Bojan_Bekic wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:51 am Hi, I thought everyone experiences this, since I noticed it a few builds back. I use a AppImages, because for some reason the Freecad ppa's don't work on my Neon 5.15
I used to have the same issue that the PPA doesn't work on my version of linux
perhaps the solution I applied here can be of use? https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 4&start=30
Bojan_Bekic wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:59 am I've noticed one more unrelated issue, maybe should open another thread. When you turn on a very very helpful option in the Draft preferences "When drawing lines, set focus on Length instead of x coordinate", then all the other modifier tools loose keyboard focus so it's impossible to type in values while moving things, for ex.
Yes i'm also quite familiar with this. Can be quite frustrating.
Bojan_Bekic wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:46 pm In the development v.18 if you try to for ex. add a window to the wall with the Arch Add tool, it's impossible. The tool ignores the order in which the objects are selected and always makes the last one created the "parent", so if the window is created after the wall, the wall becomes it's child.
No the add is not broken on the v.18, I think your problem is related to the fact that you have a 'cyclic dependency'. I opened your file and tested it, I also created a new file to just to attempt to replicate your problem and it seems to work well on mine. Restart a new file and try again. When I select Wall002, I get those highlighted.

Code: Select all

Gui::DocumentItem::populateItem(): Cyclic dependency in Window001 and Wall002
Screenshot from 2019-02-26 19-14-46.png
Screenshot from 2019-02-26 19-14-46.png (286.58 KiB) Viewed 2160 times
Screenshot from 2019-02-26 19-25-15.png
Screenshot from 2019-02-26 19-25-15.png (321.59 KiB) Viewed 2158 times
Bojan_Bekic

Post by Bojan_Bekic »

Thank you for analyzing the file and for suggestions!

I did the DNS thing all the way through (took me a day to do it without errors, but I learned stuff :)). Unfortunately, didn't help.
So I downloaded the new 15987 AppImage.

It seems you are right about adding windows, it actually works as expected!

The thing that doesn't work well (or I'm again missing something obvious) is adding a wall to a wall. The Arch Add tool ignores the selection order and always makes the more recently created wall a parent to the older one in the tree.

Could u try this, just draw two walls and try adding the new one as a child to the older one? And then the other way around?

Ah, no, it seems that after a while it starts breaking the window adding as well. If you start from a simple file, it works in the beginning, but make it a bit more complicated by adding more walls and then add a part to a wall (to additions), then it's impossible to add a window to that wall, even if you unlink the part and make wall simple again. Not only that, from that moment, you cannot add windows to other walls (simple ones).

I think this things are bugs because I can repeat the same steps in v0.17 without problems. Even adding a part to a wall can be done with the Arch Add tool (impossible in v0.18)
regis

Post by regis »

Bojan_Bekic wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:56 pm Could u try this, just draw two walls and try adding the new one as a child to the older one? And then the other way around?

You seem to have a point here, it is true that it selects a certain wall irregardless of order created. But there is no telling which one has priority, as it selects what it wants and sticks to it. In the first test I seltected wall + wall001 = wall001, then selected wall001 + wall = wall001
2nd test, created wall002 and wall003, selected wall002 + wall003 = wall002 then selected wall003 + wall002 = wall002. So i can't exactly tell why it does that. I don't think it is a bug persay, I simply think in the programming, there is a certain function for identifying orders missing somewhere. But good call.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2019-02-28 23-24-37.png
Screenshot from 2019-02-28 23-24-37.png (303.44 KiB) Viewed 2091 times
regis

Post by regis »

Bojan_Bekic wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:56 pm Ah, no, it seems that after a while it starts breaking the window adding as well. If you start from a simple file, it works in the beginning, but make it a bit more complicated by adding more walls and then add a part to a wall (to additions), then it's impossible to add a window to that wall, even if you unlink the part and make wall simple again. Not only that, from that moment, you cannot add windows to other walls (simple ones).
I've given it my best shot, tried to find the issue you are referring to,
Screenshot from 2019-02-28 23-17-10.png
Screenshot from 2019-02-28 23-17-10.png (196.21 KiB) Viewed 2086 times
Although i noticed some small anomalies that we can get around for now, What you seem to be describing still doesn't occur to me. I think there is also something broken in your file, because when i tried to play with your file once more, it even froze the Draft Grid On/Off and setting up the working plane.

Indeed it makes sense why i your understanding you think the order is skewed. If you select window001 for example, which is no where to be found on the tree view if you've noticed, and hide it, you will see that it hides the strange gray wall next to it. Meaning that wall thinks it's window001 aswell.

I have selected all the walls that are real in your file as you can see, all the other stuffs in "blueish grey" think they are windows. So something went wrong. they are not real. You will notice if you delete them they die with the windows.

Also as soon as I open your file i get the message on dependency in red in the report view. To me that's another redflag that something is well done and that can explain these strange occurances you might be experiencing.

Code: Select all

Screenshot from 2019-02-28 23-39-27.png
Screenshot from 2019-02-28 23-39-27.png (311.67 KiB) Viewed 2086 times
Lastly, i've noticed that your freecad appimage is using python 2.7. Try to use the python 3.7 and see if that has any improvements on your results,
here is the link where you can download it.
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases/

Here is what mine looks like,
I hope it helps.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.15900 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: a73b10203ab1cb31df4a8763b050d64da8e81580
Python version: 3.6.7
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/Canada (en_CA)
Bojan_Bekic

Post by Bojan_Bekic »

Thanks again for testing this, yes, it's weird!

The draft grid freezing is also one annoying bug, but so it seems happening only to me :(

So we can maybe say that some changes are happening in the code that affect the Add Arch tool, maybe in the way dependencies are handled or something.

Some other problems might be only on my computer :). Maybe I should erase my configuration file. Maybe it has something to do with my locale (Serbian? - probably a stupid idea).

I'll also try python 3.7, thanks. I did install it once, but it had some issues with font rendering on the interface, making it barely readable.

I'll report back :)
regis

Post by regis »

oh i forgot to mention. don't add the window to the wall, instead substract the window from the wall. Since a window essentially creates a cut opening, it's a form of substraction.