Release of 0.18

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wmayer
Founder

Re: Release of 0.18

Post by wmayer »

saso wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:09 am I still see this error when I run the unit tests TWICE... Maybe it is something that would be good to fix before the release?
git commit 34e09b9af31
It happened because signal, parameter and parameter2 were static members of the Observer class.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

HarryGeier wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:10 am When iu translate or change a translation, will this be checked by an admin and then be released
Checking is done by proofreaders, but out of the group of German proofreaders, from what I can see only wmayer is active.

Votes by regular translators bump a translation over others, when there are more than one proposed translation for one text string. If there is only one translation, it will be used so votes don't matter in that case.

A proofreader can approve translations and override votes. In French I've found it necessary a lot of times because an up-voted translation often didn't make sense.

Look at the German translation index: https://crowdin.com/project/freecad/de

The blue colour shows the level of translated strings in a file, the green colour shows the amount of translations that have been approved. You can see that overall, a very small amount of strings have been approved by a proofreader. Place your mouse cursor over a coloured band and a tooltip with statistics will show up.
Attachments
FC_crowdin_german_01.png
FC_crowdin_german_01.png (12.38 KiB) Viewed 1779 times
Last edited by NormandC on Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Yorik, it seems that it is no longer possible in Draft to use the Tab key to switch from a coordinate field to another.
  1. Switch to Draft wb
  2. Activate Draft Line
  3. Enter a value in the "Local X" field
  4. Hit Tab to switch to the "Local Y" field: nothing happens
I tested it in the freecad-daily PPA (Py2/Qt5) as well as a self-compiled Py3/Qt5 version (details below), with a fresh .FreeCAD folder.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16033 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 2b0d3477cb5700f5188be0ee5152e50ad6766e9c
Python version: 3.6.7
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: French/Canada (fr_CA)

TIL: with the proper user_id in the first quote tag, you can write anything for the name :D
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

NormandC wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:38 pm
TIL: with the proper user_id in the first quote tag, you can write anything for the name :D
That.Is.Hillarious!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

If i remember correctly Tab key was recently assigned to do something in Draft edit mode. I didn't test this yet but based on my experience (PieMenu), you don't want to assign Tab key to do anything else, what it already does by default, as interference is bound to happen. That is why the next version of PieMenu will use the Q key (combination) by default.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

triplus wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:06 pm If i remember correctly Tab key was recently assigned to do something in Draft edit mode.
I couldn't find what the Tab key does in Draft edit mode... If this is related, it completely breaks usage of coordinate fields as you have no choice but to click in each field to make it active. What's odd, it does not affect the ShapeString UI, in there we can continue to use Tab to switch from one field to another.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

NormandC wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:01 pm
triplus wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:06 pm If i remember correctly Tab key was recently assigned to do something in Draft edit mode.
I couldn't find what the Tab key does in Draft edit mode... If this is related, it completely breaks usage of coordinate fields as you have no choice but to click in each field to make it active. What's odd, it does not affect the ShapeString UI, in there we can continue to use Tab to switch from one field to another.
It works if you activate the Z field then with Shift+Tab you can switch to Y and X. It's just when you start from the X field you cannot go down. What also works if you activate the Y field and then press Tab. So, it looks like the X field is a dead end.

In the property editor I discovered a regression, too. When you have a feature selected and click on one of the fields you could navigate with Tab/Shift Tab. But now you can only move once, pressing twice the Tab key has no effect any more. Looking at the history of changes I found the culprit: git commit 3a81bd510
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

NormandC wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:01 pm I couldn't find what the Tab key does in Draft edit mode... If this is related, it completely breaks usage of coordinate fields as you have no choice but to click in each field to make it active. What's odd, it does not affect the ShapeString UI, in there we can continue to use Tab to switch from one field to another.
I only vaguely read the discussions and it might end up not being related. But this feels related to changed behavior you described:

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/1943
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

@wmayer fix issue #3862 pre 0.18 or hold for 0.19 ?

Edit: FYI I updated the 0.18 release ToDo post: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 93#p289693
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Moult

Post by Moult »

triplus wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:58 pm
NormandC wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:01 pm I couldn't find what the Tab key does in Draft edit mode... If this is related, it completely breaks usage of coordinate fields as you have no choice but to click in each field to make it active. What's odd, it does not affect the ShapeString UI, in there we can continue to use Tab to switch from one field to another.
I only vaguely read the discussions and it might end up not being related. But this feels related to changed behavior you described:

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/1943
Apologies, it does break that behaviour to cycle UI focus. The tab key cycles through selectable objects, this allows you to snap to different objects or select different objects. Tab can change to another key, or alternatively the fields can have shortcuts of their own (X jumps to the x field, Y jumps to the y field, etc). This change is part of a series of changes which implement more granular editing of draft objects and a slow incremental cleanup of the draft code, and it needs polish and so more progress would have to wait until after v0.18 is released.
I also blog about 3D rendering, architecture, software and other on thinkMoult.com. RSS / Atom feed available for your convenience.