FreeCAD Website Design

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD Website Design

Post by sgrogan »

AR795 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:21 pm I was thinking of going for a modal dialog approach where, users click on the video link and a popup dialog appears that shows the video. Not sure if this is the best approach, I still have to test it myself. Or the video can be embedded somewhere below the download button and directly displayed instead of a text link.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 40#p293109
"fight the good fight"
AR795

Post by AR795 »

I tried the modal dialog approach for embedding youtube videos and from my testing the video plays fine when I open it, the only problem is when I try to close the dialog, the video (and audio) still keeps playing in the background. I have checked the Bootstrap documentation and they don't have a out-of-the box solution for this, so I think some javascript is required to manually stop the video. I will see if I can find a solution.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Unrelated to above but still relevant:
Add social media icons to the navbar: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Homepage/issues/35
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
AR795

Post by AR795 »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:24 pm Unrelated to above but still relevant:
Add social media icons to the navbar: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Homepage/issues/35
Currently there are a few links in the footer but the navbar contains none (except for the link to the forum). Also I assume some links such as the google+ community are not needed? I will add the links as you suggested, but don't you think these links are better in the footer than the navbar?
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

AR795 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:04 am Currently there are a few links in the footer but the navbar contains none (except for the link to the forum). Also I assume some links such as the google+ community are not needed? I will add the links as you suggested, but don't you think these links are better in the footer than the navbar?
I think they have a place in both. For the attention deficit crowd, I think navbar makes sense.
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Having too much links on navbar, that likely makes less sense.
AR795

Post by AR795 »

I think having a dropdown menu in the navbar would solve the problem. Currently there is a link to the forum, but it can just be called 'Community' and the dropdown menu would display the links to different websites, something like this:

freecad_homepage_navbar.jpg
freecad_homepage_navbar.jpg (115.71 KiB) Viewed 1273 times

And the footer can also contain the links:

freecad_homepage_footer.jpg
freecad_homepage_footer.jpg (63.71 KiB) Viewed 1273 times

I was able to find all the FreeCAD social media links except for matrix/riot, which I am not sure about. Also about the GitHub stars, I am not sure how to include that information.
Last edited by AR795 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

AR795 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:02 pm I think having a dropdown menu in the navbar would solve the problem. Currently there is a link to the forum, but it can just be called 'Community' and the dropdown menu would display the links to different websites
Nice solution. I vote for this!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I'm not absolutely sure about it, but I think that this forum is the most important platform. Can this be made visible with
- making Forum the first entry in the list (I guess yes)
- typeset Forum in bold?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
AR795

Post by AR795 »

chrisb wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:36 am I'm not absolutely sure about it, but I think that this forum is the most important platform. Can this be made visible with
- making Forum the first entry in the list (I guess yes)
- typeset Forum in bold?
Yes, it is possible. I have updated the images in my last post.