noob question

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: noob question

Post by NormandC »

Honestly, I'll do it faster drawing it. With the polyline tool it's really fast and the great thing with constraint-based sketches, you don't have to draw it perfectly.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

keithsloan52 wrote:Another way to create a polygon sketch is to.

1) Goto OpenSCAD workbench
2) Click on the Add OpenSCAD element icon
3) Change the input from cube(); to circle(10,$fn=6);
Where 10 is the radius and $fn is the number of sides.
4) Click add
5) Goto Draft workbench & convert to sketch.
That's interesting Keith, I didn't think of that one. Typical FreeCAD... there is many ways to achieve something.

There is also a Polygon function within FreeCAD scripting, but as all the regulars will no doubt know, it is really a "wire tool". What it does is takes a list of Vertices as an argument and then draws a wire through those vertices. Great for something, but only half the job for a regular polygon. You have to calculate the correct vertices. But of course that is good if you want an irregular polygon.
buick455

Post by buick455 »

My 2 cents.. It is very cool that there are many ways to achieve the same outcome, but this makes the learning curve much higher (I speak from Newb experience, this is day 7 for me using FreeCad, lol). If the workbench has all the tools needed right in front of ya (easy to find) then the program becomes more friendly and less cumbersome (not to mention the fact that the forum will be getting less questions like the one your about to read below :P ). BTW if you do add a polygon tool to the sketcher, my vote is for across flats :D

I have been getting alot better I think, but still little stuff gets me hung up. My model (in my head) needs 3mm Metric Socket Flat Head passthroughs in it. I found the spec sheet for such a beast here: http://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Detail ... duct=13256

Now with my limited knowledge I assume there is a better way then I did it (there is at least 3 ways to make a polygon, got to be better ways of making a tapered pocket, right?). The way I did it was: created a pocket, then just added chamfer (this cant be perfect). How would I make a tapered pocket to specs?

I have learned soooo much stuff in the last 7 days, thanks to you all :D
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Drawing the three straight construction lines was unnecessary, as you can see in my Hexagon.fcstd file.
buick455 wrote:Now with my limited knowledge I assume there is a better way then I did it (there is at least 3 ways to make a polygon, got to be better ways of making a tapered pocket, right?).
That's what we call a countersunk hole, also called a countersink. At the moment, there is no feature for it, but hopefully it will be added to the next version of FreeCAD.

In the meanwhile we have to fall back on workarounds. For a metric flat head screw creating a Chamfer is OK because the head angle is 90 degrees and the chamfer does a 45 degree slope on the selected edge.

But for UTS flat head screws (UTS stands for Unified Thread Standard and is used only in the US and Canada), it won't work as the head angle is 82 degrees. Gee, why not make it an even 90 degrees??? It's just another stupid arbitrary value as with the whole damn imperial/US system. (The fact I use it everyday does not mean I have to like it) :evil:

In that case, it becomes a little more complicated, with a very convoluted workaround if you want to stay with Part Design features.
surfin_eddie

Post by surfin_eddie »

Hello buick455,

at the time I also just try something with FreeCAD, therefore I could not resist to take your model an do two things. The first one: I've tried the "conversion" from "part" to part design. The "most difficult thing" altough was copying the sketches an place them at the corresponding face.
In this stage I haven't changed values and constraints.

The main difference one can see by the representation of the model in the tree: now only the last object in the tree shows the whole model.

The second thing: I've exchanged some values against constraints. I've only do the things which was easy to do (for me) and I don't know if my constaints make sense with your ideas. You can try with the second model to change the values in one of the sketches. If everything works well then all the following/referenced sketches and object should also change.

It's only a result of some tries with your model, I hope that this not is bothering anybody.
If its usable for you I'm glad :)

Best regards,

Ralf Schüßler

PS.: I've just seen that I'm a bit late ... I'm sorry.
Attachments
freecad day 002_version_part_design_referenced_2.FCStd
(36.09 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
freecad day 002_version_part_design.FCStd
(36.46 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Sanjay Bhoi

Post by Sanjay Bhoi »

Hi All,
Still, i am woking on freecad 0.16(6706-git).
Now i want to use Freecad 0.17 developement version.
can you anyone please provide me perfect web. address for that.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You find the newest 0.17 always here: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.17_pre
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

This request has nothing to do with the original post.