AppImages of v0.18 release builds

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
looo
Veteran

AppImages of v0.18 release builds

Post by looo »

sgrogan wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:12 pm @looo are you able to provide a build for this? Great work. When you are ready I would like to uplaod an OSX build to the releases page as a release candidate, let me know when you are ready.
Appimage and dmg are uploaded to dropbox[1]. I used the last 0.18 commit[2].

[1] https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tcpg7xrvjdun ... Oteia?dl=0
[2] https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/comm ... f3febea0d2
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: Improve support of high DPI displays

Post by sgrogan »

looo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:51 am Appimage and dmg are uploaded to dropbox[1]. I used the last 0.18 commit[2].
I am not sure how to handle this. We have an 0.18.16111 which is ahead of the release 0.18.16093?
It's fine for testing, but I think if I put it on github it will cause confusion.
Thanks for the AppImage, that's a nugget I wasn't expecting.
"fight the good fight"
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

Maybe doing a 0.18.1 release with some backports?
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

looo wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:06 am Maybe doing a 0.18.1 release with some backports?
I think what he needs is the "0.19_pre" tag and update to the build system so that it would produce 0.19 versions in the about dialog and other related places. About the additional commits I would not complicate, just backport them and make a final 0.18 when ever all the things are ready. In a month or two everyone will want to be on 0.19_pre anyway ;)
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

saso wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:46 pm I think what he needs is the "0.19_pre" tag and update to the build system so that it would produce 0.19 versions in the about dialog and other related places. About the additional commits I would not complicate, just backport them and make a final 0.18 when ever all the things are ready. In a month or two everyone will want to be on 0.19_pre anyway ;)
Almost.
I create the tag when I create the the release page. I needed this git commit 970af45
The small problem is that there are some "0.18" commits between the release branch and this commit, only some of which are suitable for backporting.

Most of the problem is convenience for me, as I'm set up to build from HEAD of the release branch. I want to switch to use the tags (which I can create)

So I propose to continue to work on building the binaries for 0.18 and refrain from backporting anything yet. Once this is complete, we can backport the relevant commits, create an 0.18.1 tag and release 0.18.1, hopefully using the tags as part of the build process for the binaries.

In hindsight it would be good going forward for the first commit after the release fork to activate the next dev cycle.

I don't want to come across as complaining, just an opportunity to improve going forward.
"fight the good fight"
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

Btw.: Conda-forge freecad-feedstock will get automated PR's for everyone new tag. I now used the current 0.18 tag. I will provide the appimage and dmg for the release from local builds using the specific commit and not the tag. Once a new tag has the backports included we can also use the builds from the ci's.

I will try to work on the weekly builds to use py3.7 and the new compilers. So I am not going to create builds for tomorrow and continue with pre-0.19 on next Sunday. Hopefully we can get the weekly dmg's also ready pretty soon.
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: AppImages of v0.18 release builds

Post by sgrogan »

looo wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:22 pm Btw.: Conda-forge freecad-feedstock will get automated PR's for everyone new tag. I now used the current 0.18 tag. I will provide the appimage and dmg for the release from local builds using the specific commit and not the tag. Once a new tag has the backports included we can also use the builds from the ci's.
You are as usual ahead of me.

Can a Mod split this topic? I highjacked the thread and wmayer's OP is important.
"fight the good fight"
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

sgrogan wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:49 pm The small problem is that there are some "0.18" commits between the release branch and this commit, only some of which are suitable for backporting.
So it would be good if wmayer would backport those commits that he sees should be backported, this one could maybe also be a candidate https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/2019
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

looo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:51 am Appimage and dmg are uploaded to dropbox[1]. I used the last 0.18 commit[2].
@looo, can I upload these to the releases pages as release candidates (RC)?
Would you consider adding the docs only for the release?
I can probably add it to the AppImage myself if it's too much work. I think I would also need to add the QT assistant executable.
@triplus thoughts?
"fight the good fight"
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

sgrogan wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:10 pm @looo, can I upload these to the releases pages as release candidates (RC)?
Would you consider adding the docs only for the release?
Yes for sure. Adding the docs which are generated during the build?