Automate Reinforcement GSoC proposal

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Suraj Dadral

Automate Reinforcement GSoC proposal

Post by Suraj Dadral »

Till now, I have solved the bug of Rebar Addon and here is PR:
https://github.com/amrit3701/FreeCAD-Re ... nt/pull/11

Please review it.
I am preparing draft proposal for project Automate Reinforcement Process https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Automat ... nt_process and will share soon.
Suggestions are always welcome.

Regards
amrit3701

Re: Automate Reinforcement GSoC proposal

Post by amrit3701 »

Suraj Dadral wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:50 am Till now, I have solved the bug of Rebar Addon and here is PR:
https://github.com/amrit3701/FreeCAD-Re ... nt/pull/11

Please review it.
Merged! Now you know at least how rebar addon works. I suggest you to start working on your proposal because you only submit proposal from 25th March to 9 April. After that, you have 1 month where you demonstrate your coding skills.

Regards,
Amritpal Singh
Github, Like my work, sponsor me!
Suraj Dadral

Post by Suraj Dadral »

Current Scenario of Rebar Addon

1. To create Reinforcement in a single Beam or Column, user needs to do a lot of work like creating Stirrups, Rebars, Spacer Bars and perform all calculations involved manually.

2. If user decides to make changes in any parameter of Beam Reinforcement like Front/Top/Bottom/Left/Right cover of Stirrup, he/she needs to manually adjust placement of all Rebars and Spacer Bars provided. Doing so manually needs efforts never less than applying Reinforcement from Scratch and involves lots of calculations. And obviously, there are going to be number of Beams in a building and no one wants to apply Reinforcement to all Beams manually. So, this is a very time consuming task.

Please review and suggestions are welcome.

Regards
amrit3701

Post by amrit3701 »

Suraj Dadral wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:23 am Current Scenario of Rebar Addon

1. To create Reinforcement in a single Beam or Column, user needs to do a lot of work like creating Stirrups, Rebars, Spacer Bars and perform all calculations involved manually.

2. If user decides to make changes in any parameter of Beam Reinforcement like Front/Top/Bottom/Left/Right cover of Stirrup, he/she needs to manually adjust placement of all Rebars and Spacer Bars provided. Doing so manually needs efforts never less than applying Reinforcement from Scratch and involves lots of calculations. And obviously, there are going to be number of Beams in a building and no one wants to apply Reinforcement to all Beams manually. So, this is a very time consuming task.

Please review and suggestions are welcome.
Perfectly! Now, you understood the problem of rebar addon. If you are reinforcing a single beam with rebar addon then it's fine but suppose in a real building we have many beams and column with different reinforcement configuration the reinforcing by using rebar addon is not an efficient way. To solve this problem what I think, we take all the required inputs (in some sheet or dialog box) for reinforcing structure element at starting point and then process/create rebars in one go. Don't hesitate to share your ideas.

Regards,
Amritpal Singh
Suraj Dadral

Post by Suraj Dadral »

amrit3701 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:47 pm
Perfectly! Now, you understood the problem of rebar addon. If you are reinforcing a single beam with rebar addon then it's fine but suppose in a real building we have many beams and column with different reinforcement configuration the reinforcing by using rebar addon is not an efficient way. To solve this problem what I think, we take all the required inputs (in some sheet or dialog box) for reinforcing structure element at starting point and then process/create rebars in one go. Don't hesitate to share your ideas.
Yes you are right.

To create reinforcement in a single beam/column in one step can be done by developing UI as shown in following mockups.

Tab I: This dialog box contains same input fields as that of current Rebar Addon's dialog box for Stirrups
Stirrups.png
Stirrups.png (30.89 KiB) Viewed 9138 times

Tab II:
TopRebars.png
TopRebars.png (25.52 KiB) Viewed 9138 times
BottomRebars.png
BottomRebars.png (25.66 KiB) Viewed 9138 times
SideRebars.png
SideRebars.png (30.82 KiB) Viewed 9138 times

Note that Dialog Box contains similar input parameters which are present in Reinforcement table of STAAD.Pro output file. For example, Reinforcement for Beam in STAAD.Pro file is present as:

Code: Select all

[centre]SUMMARY OF PROVIDED REINF. AREA[/centre]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SECTION          0.0 mm          2000.0 mm          4000.0 mm          6000.0 mm          8000.0 mm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 TOP	         2-20í           2-20í               3-20í               2-20í                    2-20í
REINF.          1 layer(s)      1 layer(s)         1 layer(s)       1 layer(s)            1 layer(s)

BOTTOM           2-25í          4-25í               5-25í               4-25í                     2-25í
REINF.          1 layer(s)       1 layer(s)        2 layer(s)       1 layer(s)             1 layer(s)

SHEAR          2 legged  8í      2 legged 8í        2 legged  8í        2 legged  8í         2 legged  8í
REINF.         @280 mm c/c      @280 mm c/c        @280 mm c/c         @280 mm c/c         @280 mm c/c
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, after implementing Reinforcement for Beam/Column in one step, we can move further and can have some script which we will execute on STAAD.Pro file, containing reinforcement details of Beam/Column, and can produce reinforcement details for all beams/columns in one go.

Suggestions are welcome.

Regards
Walgri

Post by Walgri »

Hi,

To me it looks natural that at a certain point the rebar addon (or a new Reinforced concrete addon) should be able to talk to the fem module results too, then design the reinforcement accordingly and perform the checks.

I would add that code provisions may require (lots of) additional checks on rebar and stirrup diameters, spacing, section area ratio to element section, with different provisions for sections close to the support from those that are far from the support, et cetera.

So while having a dialog box is useful for simple cases and maybe in the safety assessment of an existing building, in most other practical cases the user could/should be able to choose which code, and which design/check criteria the addon has to use for each member (or group of members).
Suraj Dadral

Post by Suraj Dadral »

Suraj Dadral wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:50 am I am preparing draft proposal for project Automate Reinforcement Process https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Automat ... nt_process and will share soon.
I have created draft proposal.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-LI ... sp=sharing

@All community review it and give your suggestions.

Regards
amrit3701

Post by amrit3701 »

Suraj Dadral wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:47 pm

Hi @Suraj, I will review it by tomorrow.
Amritpal Singh
amrit3701

Post by amrit3701 »

amrit3701 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:31 pm
Suraj Dadral wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:47 pm

Hi @Suraj, I will review it by tomorrow.
I reviewed it and added my suggestions in the doc. My most of comments are related to UI. Your proposal looks good. I like the idea that you are using same fields which are present in STAAD.PRO output file without inventing something new to take input from the user.

Regards,
Amritpal Singh
Suraj Dadral

Post by Suraj Dadral »

amrit3701 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:50 am
I reviewed it and added my suggestions in the doc. My most of comments are related to UI. Your proposal looks good. I like the idea that you are using same fields which are present in STAAD.PRO output file without inventing something new to take input from the user.
Thanks @amrit3701 for your valuable suggestions.
In response to your comment
From I tab to II tab, there are lot of variations in the dialog box. For eg. in second tab you added vertical column for (top, bottom and side rebar) which not looks good. Make UI steady as much you can.
We can have following UI
DialogBox2a.png
DialogBox2a.png (28.69 KiB) Viewed 8969 times
DialogBox2b.png
DialogBox2b.png (26.17 KiB) Viewed 8969 times

Regards