Release of 0.18

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Joel_graff
Veteran

Re: Release of 0.18

Post by Joel_graff »

Not that I assume anyone's forgotten... but let's not forget to update SourceForge. Over 2,600 in the last week (mostly Windows, it would appear).
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
vejmarie

Post by vejmarie »

I released the snap, and got about 7k users in less than a week. Looks like the migration is moving fast. Hopefully no complain at the present time
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

This page needs updating: https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Download
It says 0.17 is the latest one.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

PrzemoF, the problem is that not all binaries/installers are ready yet. https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases/tag/0.18

I'm still struggling with the PPA; from what I understand, they're waiting on it to build the AppImage? I wonder how that will work out if I succeed in doing a multi-package (freecad being a meta-package calling freecad-common, freecad-runtime, freecad-python2, freecad-python3 plus lib packages). Maybe it's best starting with the Py3Qt5 Conda AppImage.

The final Windows installer isn't ready either.

@vejmarie
I tested the snap and reported my findings in the Ubuntu snap: A quick try topic.
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

OK, I thought I missed the official release :D
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

Would it possible to add info on Py & Qt version on FC Help About first tab?
I know those info are present on Libraries tab and in the Copy text, but wouldn't be nicer to have a full overview in the first tab?
FC-about.png
FC-about.png (134.94 KiB) Viewed 2143 times
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

easyw-fc wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:18 pm Would it possible to add info on Py & Qt version on FC Help About first tab?
I know those info are present on Libraries tab and in the Copy text, but wouldn't be nicer to have a full overview in the first tab?

FC-about.png
we discussed this a long time ago and the result was what we have today, but it is reasonable to discuss again. :)

I agree with you except that I really want to also see the OCC version. I think that is not unreasonable as it is obviously one of the most critical pieces of third party software used in FreeCAD. Although I am not right now, I used to run several versions of oce/occ, some self compiled and it would have been nice to quickly look and confirm which one I was running.

From an ethical point of view, perhaps a newbie should see at a glance what data "copy to clip board" is collecting. Perhaps with the current situation some might be suspicious and think we are being a bit sneaky by copying "stuff" that is not immediately apparent. If that is the case then perhaps we should display everything that is copied to clipboard. From an ethical point of view, I think this is not unreasonable, although obviously in reality the only data collect that I have ever seen anyone complain about was one person who complained about the local data, and of course its only text in a forum post that can be deleted manually if so desired. I was just thinking that perhaps one day some entity like perhaps Debian might decide that we should be more transparent about data and have issues with FreeCAD in their repository like they did for other reasons over the OCC licence some time ago.

So in my opinion we should list everything, although I don't claim it is very important.

Jim
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

easyw-fc wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:18 pm Would it possible to add info on Py & Qt version on FC Help About first tab?

FC-about.png
I would not overload this dialog with too much technical information. IMO it's better to have a second panel then where we can put all these information to. We could add a new tab or add a button to open this other panel.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

wmayer wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:41 am I would not overload this dialog with too much technical information. IMO it's better to have a second panel then where we can put all these information to. We could add a new tab or add a button to open this other panel.
I just suggested to add Py & Qt because they are essential to distinguish 'old' (hopefully) py2/qt4 builds to the new FC Conda py3/qt5 build...
It is an useful information to align workbenches functionalities to py3..
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I tend more to Jim's view. The main usage (although perhaps not purpose) of this dialog is to copy the version information. Putting more into it does no harm. I would at least include those items, that are frequently points of discussion, at least in the current situation: OCC, Python, and Qt version. Having a separate menu entry would be ok as well, I would not like to have another button to yet another page.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.