name FreeCAD 0.91 instead of 0.20, means version after 0.19 could be 0.91

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Joel_graff
Veteran

Re: name FreeCAD 0.91 instead of 0.20, means version after 0.19 could be 0.91

Post by Joel_graff »

I remember reading somewhere that using a year-based versioning scheme could create issues for Debian packaging or something... No idea why / how, but it's something to consider.
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

How often does one really need to say, version X was this long ago? All that seems to matter to me is to know the current version, and to be able to say whether a version is older than current. I'm not a fan of year.date versioning systems because doesn't allow you to communicate the significance of the changes in a new version, just that it's newer, but dotted decimal versions can do that too. It also keeps our tie to yearly releases, which IMO we should view as a historical coincidence... having huge gaps of time between releases doesn't help us get any better at making releases.

Also, there are actually several issues being discussed here:
1. should we drop the leading 0 in the version to communicate FreeCAD's maturity (and stop communicating its immaturity)
2. should we have a 1.0 release to communicate FreeCAD's readiness for wide usage
3. should we use a major.minor.patch or year.date versioning system

It seems the consensus to 1 is 'yes'. The arguments for 2 are strong--not having a 1.0 release is like not having a graduation ceremony. Deciding on 3 can IMO be deferred after we drop the leading 0 and after we have a 1.0 release--it's a separate issue.

Also, I don't think a year.date versioning system would cause any Debian packaging problems, except that if we switch to it we can't easily switch back, which seems unlikely anyway.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
Mark Szlazak

Post by Mark Szlazak »

kkremitzki wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:16 pm How often does one really need to say, version X was this long ago? All that seems to matter to me is to know the current version, and to be able to say whether a version is older than current. I'm not a fan of year.date versioning systems because doesn't allow you to communicate the significance of the changes in a new version, just that it's newer, but dotted decimal versions can do that too. It also keeps our tie to yearly releases, which IMO we should view as a historical coincidence... having huge gaps of time between releases doesn't help us get any better at making releases.

Also, there are actually several issues being discussed here:
1. should we drop the leading 0 in the version to communicate FreeCAD's maturity (and stop communicating its immaturity)
2. should we have a 1.0 release to communicate FreeCAD's readiness for wide usage

It seems the consensus to 1 is 'yes'. The arguments for 2 are strong--not having a 1.0 release is like not having a graduation ceremony. Deciding on 3 can IMO be deferred after we drop the leading 0 and after we have a 1.0 release--it's a separate issue.

Also, I don't think a year.date versioning system would cause any Debian packaging problems, except that if we switch to it we can't easily switch back, which seems unlikely anyway.
I do not understand how 1.0 or 2.0 tells me whether i am using a current version not??
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

Mark Szlazak wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:08 pm I do not understand how 1.0 or 2.0 tells me whether i am using a current version not??
you're really a helpless lot: 1.0 is cool, and 2.0 is futuristic. geeez ... didn't you learn anything in engineering school ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

wmayer wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:38 pm friendly and constructive manner until Zolko and you joined it
sure ... a nice scape-goat you have here....
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

Zolko wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:31 pm you're really a helpless lot: 1.0 is cool, and 2.0 is futuristic. geeez ... didn't you learn anything in engineering school ?
I'm really not at all sure what that's supposed to mean.

The value of moving to version 1.0 is primarily for public relations. It signals to others that our project is one that has matured and has considerable value to it's users - and there's plenty of evidence to be found both here and outside our community that demonstrates these things are true.

In the end, though, it's really only a number. It has no intrinsic value beyond indicating a progression in development.
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

wmayer wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:30 am As far as I remember from discussions with Jürgen the plan to switch to version 1.0 was when the most important issues are solved:
it's the topological naming as you said and the assembly workbench.
I don't know about Jürgen, but that seems quite logical today.

so... how about App::Link ? Is this the goal for v0.19 ? (or any next version) ?
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

kkremitzki wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:16 pm 1. should we drop the leading 0 in the version to communicate FreeCAD's maturity (and stop communicating its immaturity)
yes, yes, yes, jm2c
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Mark Szlazak wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:08 pm I do not understand how 1.0 or 2.0 tells me whether i am using a current version not??
Strictly speaking a year.month version doesn't tell you if it's current or not, either, just if it's recent.

bernd wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:10 pm yes, yes, yes, jm2c
Your third yes is in response to a either/or question.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
Mark Szlazak

Post by Mark Szlazak »

kkremitzki wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:14 pm
Strictly speaking a year.month version doesn't tell you if it's current or not, either, just if it's recent.
Yes that is what i said. Which means it is more information than version numbers like 1.0, etc.