Re: GSOC 2019 Thread (Wrapping up)

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Suhel Mehta

Re: GSOC 2019 Thread (Potential student participants discuss application ideas with mentoring organizations)

Post by Suhel Mehta »

amrit3701 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:08 am
Yes, you are right.

In the current rebar addon user have to do a lot of manual work/calculations. For eg. reinforcing in the rectangular column, first, the user has to do create straight rebar in the four sides of the column and create stirrups along a length which is very time-consuming.

The main idea behind this to get all parameters first which are necessary for reinforcing in the structure element at first and when user click on the button (say 'OK') it will create all reinforcements in one process. Here important is which parameter should be present in the new dialog box. You may try different softwares and see how reinforcement is done. I am waiting for mockups. ;)
I am searching for parameters and I will also find how reinforcement is done in other software. I am preparing the mockup and I will add it in my proposal.
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: GSOC 2019 Thread (Potential student participants discuss application ideas with mentoring organizations)

Post by Kunda1 »

pPodest wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:03 pm Hi all,

I am interesed to extend the integration of the Z88 solver in FreeCAD, as I already mentioned in a previous post. Since I am completely new to FreeCAD I have looked into the code of the FEM workbench mostly since my last post.
For the project I put together a first version of the proposal (here is the link to it: https://docs.google.com/document/d/15SX ... sp=sharing). In the coming days I will still be editing it, and adding things. For example the unit tests do still have to be added to my timeline. Since this is also my first project proposal if you are missing points please tell me so that I can add/elaborate on them :)
Is this even the right place to post my proposal, or shall I open a new topic on it?

Best regards
bernd wrote:ping
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Suraj Dadral

Post by Suraj Dadral »

Suraj Dadral wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:11 pm
<snip>

Some observations:
- Due to low space, Rebars started overlapping each other.
Solution can be: Script should auto calculate maximum Amount/Spacing based on the values of:
1. Diameter of Rebars
2. Length of edge perpendicular to selected face
3. Front Cover

- Because "Bottom cover + Diameter of Rebar" is more than height of slab, so rebars goes out of the slab.
Solution can be: Script should auto calculate maximum Bottom/Top cover based on the value of:
1. Height of selected face
2. Diameter of Rebars

Correct me if I am wrong.
So, this is beacause I have taken non-real sizes. So, this is not at all the issue with Rebar Addon.

Regards
Suhel Mehta

Post by Suhel Mehta »

amrit3701 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:08 am
The main idea behind this to get all parameters first which are necessary for reinforcing in the structure element at first and when user click on the button (say 'OK') it will create all reinforcements in one process. Here important is which parameter should be present in the new dialog box. You may try different softwares and see how reinforcement is done. I am waiting for mockups. ;)
Sir, I tried to make a mockup. Here is the link.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FG_rE ... 1bhfZQ9JyD
I am further adding more parameters required for the ease of reinforcement process.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

To all potential mentors, all of you should now a) be on the GSOCAX mailing list maintained by the BRL-CAD team and b) have received an official GSOC invite. If anything is not there, reach out to me ASAP!
hardeeprai

Post by hardeeprai »

Sudhanshu wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:49 am Currently I am trying to include Felt FEM solver in FreeCAD. That discussion is here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33463

I would like to take the inclusion of Felt in FreeCAD as a project if anyone is ready to mentor me on that.
Great! Would like to see FElt workin gin FreeCAD.

Make a nice proposal. I would like to help you, and possibly mentor you as well, if that is acceptable to FreeCAD admins.

GSoC is a nice motivation for students to contribute, but it do has some luck factor, in addition to quality of your proposal, which includes availability of slots, priority of organisation, and availability of mentor.

The beauty of Open Source is that to experience happiness of contributing does not need presence of GSoC. If you get GSoC, that should be great, but I would like to see you contributing even without that. I am willing to mentor you in either case.

I will also keep giving my inputs for ReBar addon, as I am going to be user of that in a big way.

Wish you all the best.
--
H.S.Rai
Suraj Dadral

Post by Suraj Dadral »

hardeeprai wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:43 am
I will also keep giving my inputs for ReBar addon, as I am going to be user of that in a big way.
Hi @hardeeprai
Nice to hear you. I had created a new thread regarding the automation of Rebar Addon and here is the link to that thread:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35077

You can give your input there. I will be waiting for it.

Regards
Sudhanshu

Post by Sudhanshu »

hardeeprai wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:43 am
Sudhanshu wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:49 am Currently I am trying to include Felt FEM solver in FreeCAD. That discussion is here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33463

I would like to take the inclusion of Felt in FreeCAD as a project if anyone is ready to mentor me on that.
Great! Would like to see FElt working in FreeCAD.

Make a nice proposal. I would like to help you, and possibly mentor you as well, if that is acceptable to FreeCAD admins.
Hello @hardeeprai
And thanks for the support. I am working on the proposal and its almost ready, will share the link soon.

hardeeprai wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:43 am GSoC is a nice motivation for students to contribute, but it do has some luck factor, in addition to quality of your proposal, which includes availability of slots, priority of organisation, and availability of mentor.

The beauty of Open Source is that to experience happiness of contributing does not need presence of GSoC. If you get GSoC, that should be great, but I would like to see you contributing even without that. I am willing to mentor you in either case.

Wish you all the best.
Thanks for this great advice.
I am willing to contribute regardless of whether I am selected for GSoC or not. GSoC will just accelerate my contribution speed.

Open Source is definitely the best way for beginners like me to get exposure to great developers, latest technical advancements and proper development workflow.
hardeeprai

Post by hardeeprai »

Sudhanshu wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:33 pmI am willing to contribute regardless of whether I am selected for GSoC or not. GSoC will just accelerate my contribution speed.
That great. Try to get GSoC, but keep contributing, to get exposure of real software development, which help you grow.

All the best,
--
H.S.Rai
m42kus

Post by m42kus »

Hey everyone,

I've submitted a GSoC proposal that aims to improve the quality and reliability of the FEM workbench by introducing a extensive and consistent testing approach and developing a test suite covering the whole FEM module.

It goes by the name FEM Workbench Testing and can be viewed on google docs: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rid ... sp=sharing (link fixed in edit). Via this link you also have the right to add comments to the document. I invite everyone to read through the proposal and to leave comments in the document or directly in this topic :)

I've also created a topic in the FEM forum where you can leave comments on my proposal https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=35428

regards,
Markus
My GSoC Devlog: ceeli.github.io/gsoc