OBJ importer error (python 3.7)

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
olof

OBJ importer error (python 3.7)

Post by olof »

Hi,

When I try to export an OBJ file (such as when uploading to Sketchfab) I get an error like:

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "~/.FreeCAD/Mod/WebTools/Sketchfab.py", line 220, in upload
    pack = self.saveFile()
  File "~/.FreeCAD/Mod/WebTools/Sketchfab.py", line 138, in saveFile
    importOBJ.export(objects,filename+".obj")
  File "~/miniconda3/envs/freecad_py37/Mod/Arch/importOBJ.py", line 199, in export
    outfile.write("# FreeCAD v" + ver[0] + "." + ver[1] + " build" + ver[2] + " Arch module\n")
TypeError: a bytes-like object is required, not 'str'
At the moment the file is being opened for writing in binary mode. Given OBJ files (as I understand it) are text files is this needed? If I change it to open as a text file it works as expected.

I seem to have an old account for the issue tracker associated with my email address but can't find/remember my username to allow me to reset my password...

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.14555 (Git shallow)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 51b953e2c6edd7f76b1d8faa584424cfb6367d45
Python version: 3.7.1
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB)
vocx
Veteran

Re: OBJ importer error (python 3.7)

Post by vocx »

olof wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:21 pm Hi,

When I try to export an OBJ file (such as when uploading to Sketchfab) I get an error like:

TypeError: a bytes-like object is required, not 'str'
At the moment the file is being opened for writing in binary mode. Given OBJ files (as I understand it) are text files is this needed? If I change it to open as a text file it works as expected.
The error you get sounds like it could be an incompatibility between Python 2 and Python 3 (http://python3porting.com/problems.html). I think Python 3 handles all strings as Unicode, but Python 2 used to consider them byte arrays (each character a byte). Since FreeCAD was developed with Python 2, there may still be some issues if you use Python 3. As far as I know, the developers are still working on ironing out all issues with Python 3, so that FreeCAD 0.19 (next release cycle) be fully compatible with Python 3. Porting to python3
Version: 0.18.14555 (Git shallow)
Did you compile your own FreeCAD? I'm using a pre-packaged FreeCAD for Ubuntu, compiled against Python 2. Did you try with the latest, stable 0.18? I'm using Version: 0.18.16093 (Git), and it seems to work. Your version is several thousands commits behind.

I also suggest you to try a simple export, without using the Sketchfab stuff.

import Arch
import importOBJ

FreeCAD.ActiveDocument.addObject("Part::Box", "Box")
b = FreeCAD.ActiveDocument.ActiveObject
b.Label = "Cube"
b.Length = 1000
b.Width = 300
b.Height = 200
eq = Arch.makeEquipment(b)

importOBJ.export([eq], "/home/olof/model.obj")
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.