Structure command to Beam,Column,Footing commands

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
FATHI RAMMAH

Structure command to Beam,Column,Footing commands

Post by FATHI RAMMAH »

Hi guys
to make the structural engineers life easy , i have started separating the Structure command to Beam,Column,Footing commands
here is the tool bar picture
Attachments
str1.PNG
str1.PNG (240.75 KiB) Viewed 2065 times
paullee
Veteran

Re: Structure command to Beam,Column,Footing commands

Post by paullee »

In what way do you separate this items? Added some attributes to each of these objects?

Guys in FEM may be interested.
FATHI RAMMAH

Post by FATHI RAMMAH »

paullee wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:07 pm In what way do you separate this items? Added some attributes to each of these objects?

Guys in FEM may be interested.
No new attributes yet,just the volume and set the IfcRole to each one
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Cool, would you make it public?
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

Thanks for your contribution to freecad.
My doubt is about the real improvement of splitting the command to three rather than to have them concentrated in just one.
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I think this is cool.

We had (and still have) this discussion on another thread here, about separating the core "geometry generation" tools from their semantic meaning.

That means, for example, that we have one tool (the current structure tool for ex), that extrudes a profile. The result of this can be anything you want (a wall, a column,etc).

A power user would use only that tool, and, after creating the object, would decide what it is and set its type. This is almost what is happening now in Arch.

However, people coming from other BIM apps, and, more generally speaking, because of the big "weight" of all the BIM litterature out there, will feel lost in there, and won't recognize this. They will still want a column tool, a beam tool, a wall tool, etc.

For me the big difference between the Arch WB and the BIM WB is there. The Arch WB is what you use when you know your way. We should make it minimal and efficient, even if it continues hard to learn. The BIM WB is something I see as a "user-friendly" layer on top of Arch. It should make people feel in a "traditional" BIM environment, where they find all their favorite tools like wall, beam, column, etc. These tools would be nothing more than the corresponding Arch geometry generator, but with a little bit of "sauce", or presets, on top of it. @Fathi, mind to share your changes? ;)
FATHI RAMMAH

Post by FATHI RAMMAH »

bernd wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:34 am Cool, would you make it public?
yes"bernd",but it's not finished yet,if you want to test it i'll send a file
FATHI RAMMAH

Post by FATHI RAMMAH »

yorik wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:14 pm I think this is cool.

We had (and still have) this discussion on another thread here, about separating the core "geometry generation" tools from their semantic meaning.

That means, for example, that we have one tool (the current structure tool for ex), that extrudes a profile. The result of this can be anything you want (a wall, a column,etc).

A power user would use only that tool, and, after creating the object, would decide what it is and set its type. This is almost what is happening now in Arch.

However, people coming from other BIM apps, and, more generally speaking, because of the big "weight" of all the BIM litterature out there, will feel lost in there, and won't recognize this. They will still want a column tool, a beam tool, a wall tool, etc.

For me the big difference between the Arch WB and the BIM WB is there. The Arch WB is what you use when you know your way. We should make it minimal and efficient, even if it continues hard to learn. The BIM WB is something I see as a "user-friendly" layer on top of Arch. It should make people feel in a "traditional" BIM environment, where they find all their favorite tools like wall, beam, column, etc. These tools would be nothing more than the corresponding Arch geometry generator, but with a little bit of "sauce", or presets, on top of it. @Fathi, mind to share your changes? ;)
hi yorik
i would like to share ,but it isn't finished yet, i really don't know about the code quality, so can i send you a file to see the changes and give me your notes
FATHI RAMMAH

Post by FATHI RAMMAH »

bitacovir wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:07 pm Thanks for your contribution to freecad.
My doubt is about the real improvement of splitting the command to three rather than to have them concentrated in just one.
why you doubt,nothing to doubt about
i don't think you are structural or civil engineer,,,,
if you are so what would you do when you have to model a large building ,at least to survey the quantities, and this building has about 100 beam objects with different length and different section???
with the existed Structure command you have to jump to the beam mode and change the dimension to model every single one because it jumps to column mode by default.believe me you will spend a lot of working hours maybe days to finish it while with these commands you can finish it just in one or two hours.

So for that i separated it to specific commands to Save the time and make it easy
chakkree

Post by chakkree »

+1