Release of 0.18

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Release of 0.18

Post by chrisb »

kkremitzki wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:17 pm The daily PPA has not been updated since I'm still working on finalizing the 0.18(.1) release.
Thanks for the effort, no time pressure from my side.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

I just updated the 0.18.1 packaging for Debian and uploaded it, then merged those changes into the PPA branches, synced the mirrored Launchpad repo, and triggered 0.18.1 builds for the stable PPA on 16.04, 18.04, 18.10, and 19.04.

Took about 10 minutes! I'm glad I finally got the packaging repo unified at https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/freecad. I'm using this patch to force the display of the 0.18.1 version--not ideal, but we can get something better set up in master and backport it for a 0.18.2 release whenever that happens.

P.S. This has Python 3 set to default.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

awesome progress!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
iogui

Post by iogui »

kkremitzki wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:09 pm I just updated the 0.18.1 packaging for Debian and uploaded it, then merged those changes into the PPA branches, synced the mirrored Launchpad repo, and triggered 0.18.1 builds for the stable PPA on 16.04, 18.04, 18.10, and 19.04.

Took about 10 minutes! I'm glad I finally got the packaging repo unified at https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/freecad. I'm using this patch to force the display of the 0.18.1 version--not ideal, but we can get something better set up in master and backport it for a 0.18.2 release whenever that happens.

P.S. This has Python 3 set to default.
Please see:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 10#p299597
Be the change you want to see in the world. - Mahatma Gandhi
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Guys, we need to get our act together, these topics are becoming frequent.

Confusion about 0.18 release on website

What's holding up the Windows and Mac releases? I think we should officially announce 0.18 even if the Mac build isn't ready. We're already at 0.18.1 and no announcement was made for 0.18... :|
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

NormandC wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:40 pm What's holding up the Windows and Mac releases? I think we should officially announce 0.18 even if the Mac build isn't ready. We're already at 0.18.1 and no announcement was made for 0.18...
We should have called it 0.18.beta1 or something like this. It had some problems and therefor shouldn't be used for an announced release. (Something to remember for next year).

For conda everything should be ready at the evening (hopefully)
If people know how to work with a package-manager they can install freecad 0.18 on win64, osx, linux64 with:

Code: Select all

conda create --name freecad freecad -c conda-forge
But it was shown people are often too lazy for learning how to use a package-manager. So the other option are the appimages and dmgs (for conda-based builds). The only problem here is limited time of maintainers.

edit: corrected typo
Last edited by looo on Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

looo wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:21 pm Code: Select all

conda create -n frecad freecad -c conda-forge
is that a typo? "frecad freecad" the first freecad has only one "e" and should there be two "freecad" ?
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

looo wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:21 pm For conda everything should be ready at the evening (hopefully)
If people know how to work with a package-manager they can install freecad 0.18 on win64, osx, linux64 with:

Code: Select all

conda create -n frecad freecad -c conda-forge

But it was shown people are often too lazy for learning how to use a package-manager. So the other option are the appimages and dmgs (for conda-based builds). The only problem here is limited time of maintainers.
I suspect the main problem with Conda is that most people have not heard of Conda, don't know what it is, how to use it, or even if using it is a good idea or not.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

jmaustpc wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:35 pm is that a typo? "frecad freecad" the first freecad has only one "e" and should there be two "freecad" ?
yes it's a typo, but this is only the name of the environment.
jmaustpc wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:37 pm I suspect the main problem with Conda is that most people have not heard of Conda, don't know what it is, how to use it, or even if using it is a good idea or not.
Hmm, maybe this is true. But I really don't want to make advertisement for conda. I just wanted to say, there is this alternative, and if people really need a 0.18.1 release it's available with conda. I will do the bundles too, but this will need some time.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

@kkremitzki @sgrogan and @looo thanks a lot for the efforts guys... Packaging is really a lot of work...