Draft Edit improvements

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Moult

Re: Draft Edit improvements

Post by Moult »

This is a known issue. We are working on resolving it.

@Roy_043, In my draft highlight mode, it allows tab selection to select the nodes. You can see a demonstration to select and edit subelements from a perspective view here: https://peertube.social/videos/watch/86 ... e332e916f4

Admittedly, this has not yet been implemented with the node editing tool. Carlopav is working on it but I think he is having troubles. Maybe this weekend I can jump into his PR and see if I can help fix it.
I also blog about 3D rendering, architecture, software and other on thinkMoult.com. RSS / Atom feed available for your convenience.
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

@Roy_043 yes it's a known issue, I confirm!
Carlopav is working on it but I think he is having troubles. Maybe this weekend I can jump into his PR and see if I can help fix it.
Thx moult, this would be really appreciated :)
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

OK, thank you both for confirming.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Joining discussions from other threads, I wonder if this wouldn't be a perfect moment to rethink the Draft Edit tool to maybe be rewritten from scratch, and make it way more powerful, basically:

- Be able to work on just any kind of shape-based FreeCAD object
- Be able to work on multiple objects at a same time
- Make a better and reliable way to click edit points
- Be able to recognize and sort the internal geometry of objects (which edge belongs to what face, what is an arc, what is a line, etc)
- For objects of a known parametric type, ex. Draft objects, it would allow to store the changes parametrically, for others it would just edit the shape

points 4 and 5 need some more thinking of course. I'll also have a look at point 3 tomorrow. That at least would help fixing the current one.

What do you think?
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

yorik wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:39 pm - Make a better and reliable way to click edit points
Yes! please. :roll: I think I'm not able to do it.
I wonder if this wouldn't be a perfect moment to rethink the Draft Edit tool to maybe be rewritten from scratch, and make it way more powerful, basically:
YES, I already started a rewriting, but dont know if I went in the right way. In the experiment i did:
- the editNodes are smarter: they are created on selection (the creation observer is limited to a maximum number of object, and performances seems to not suffer at all); they remember which object they belong to; they start object editing on click.
- like this it would be easy to "Be able to work on multiple objects at a same time", just adding nodes to a list before applying the vector.

The main point is: the node display should be activated by a command or is just a Draft addition to standard selection? Read: Is the edit nodes tool more similar to move/rotate/scale or more similar to Snap? You know my position :)
We could adopt this behaviour (consistently with moult work for move/rotate/scale (?)):
- if the user select the whole object nodes are displayed for every subentity (atual behaviour), limiting the max number of subobjects the tool can parse;
- if the user select a subelement: nodes are displayed just for selected edge.
- Be able to recognize and sort the internal geometry of objects (which edge belongs to what face, what is an arc, what is a line, etc)
This seems tough... (i think this go with the topic https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=35466)
- For objects of a known parametric type, ex. Draft objects, it would allow to store the changes parametrically, for others it would just edit the shape
It's like windows editing or wall height node I was implementing, some nodes are just meant to modify parameters. (+1, I think this is not so difficult to implement, just long, since have to be customized for every different object type).

What do u think?
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

yorik wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:39 pm
- Be able to work on multiple objects at a same time
- Make a better and reliable way to click edit points
+1
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Okay I think I more or less solved the unselectable Draft Edit points in git commit 7de2248bb. Might need additional testing, though.
I did something simple: walk through the different objects returned by getObjectsInfo, and 1) if it's an EditPoint, fine. 2) if it's a vertex or an edge, if our point is very close to any of the EditPoints, use that editpoint

It seems to work okay so far...
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

yorik wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:28 pm Okay I think I more or less solved the unselectable Draft Edit points in git commit 7de2248bb.
thx yorik ... i'm not able to move a single edit point now... :) maybe I did something wrong copying the code or my version is too old :lol: . I'll try again tomorrow ;) goodnight

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16079 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 6363c90a20b296ab69d7b52230009928199d90df
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Italian/Italy (it_IT)
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

yorik wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:28 pm Okay I think I more or less solved the unselectable Draft Edit points in git commit 7de2248bb.
Second test with this build and substituting Drafttools.py:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.16267 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: ddb335cfe057336f1958d68126bb0471328d735c
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Italian/Italy (it_IT)

Works perfectly when the editpoint is coincident with a vertex, instead i'm not able to select it when editpoint is positioned in the space or over an edge (arc midpoint and center, bezier curve control points, wall if the align property is set to center).
marzof

Post by marzof »

Hi everyone,

in order to better fit the program with my BIM workflow I started writing a macro that intend to automate some basic editing operation like move, rotation, copy... of Arch object which usually have bases, additions, subtractions.

I notice the option added by Moult for editing the object's base instead of the object itself and I'm glad someone else share my same thoughts and needs. Unfortunately this option doesn't handle the copy of the objects (but just their bases) so I think that maybe my work can be useful.

I post here two animation where you can see how it works. If you want to test it you can get it from https://github.com/marzof/FreeCAD_Macro ... it.FCMacro

At the moment it wasn't tested extensively (mainly on walls) and it needs to be completed (I want to add at least the scale and the mirror command) but if you are interested I'll be happy to continue my work on it.

I hope it would be of some help for the rethinking of the Draft edit tools.

Marco