Native PartDesign Common feature

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kisolre
Veteran

Native PartDesign Common feature

Post by kisolre »

Anyone care to comment why isn't there a native PartDesign common feature? I recently designed a pill box and had to add two pockets "thorough all" to remove the extra helixes from both ends. It would have been a lot simple to just define a cylinder and trim everything that is outside of it.
Common_Before.JPG
Common_Before.JPG (65.37 KiB) Viewed 885 times
Common_After.JPG
Common_After.JPG (72.77 KiB) Viewed 885 times
I know that there are ways to achieve that with single operations like pocket from the side with a sketch with two parallelograms for top and bottom cuts. But that is not the question. I really see no reason for NOT to have it.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Re: Native PartDesign Common feature

Post by Jee-Bee »

Can you expalain what you mean by a "common feature"?
except that it should be common i have no clue where you talking about...
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Boolean operations in Part WB are Fusion(union) (exposed as Additive features in PartDesign), Cut (exposed as Substractive features) and Common(intersection) which is no available as features in PartDesign.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

I think that is related with the part design work flow.
I use have used CREO for years and i even don't know if it has boolean functions at all. Everything you with a boolean you can do with other tools too.
a extrude cut in PD is a extrude with a boolean cut.
a normal extrude in PD is a extrude with boolean union.
etc.

I can imagine only a single reason for boolean like functionality and that is molds. where you can start with a part and you have to create the reversed one.
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

I think back than when I did port many tools for the new part design it felt natural to think in terms of adding and subtracting, it just was super fitting for the whole workflow. Later I thought about common operation and that there are some useful things you can do if all part design features exists as common too (next to additive and subtractive), but I was lazy and it would have cluttered the toolbar too much. An idea from back than was shown in this poll (you can actually see the common option in the picture)

So I personally think if someone does the work implementing it (super easy to do, just lots of work) it could be added to part design with out any hassle