upgrade to freecad 0.18 problem open second project

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mattes

upgrade to freecad 0.18 problem open second project

Post by mattes »

Just upgraded (dnf update freecad) on Fedora29 from FreeCAD 0.17 to 0.18 couple of days ago.
and I see FreeCAD crashing when using my existing 0.17 project.
After two weeks of use I found out that even newly created projects seems to have problems.

1) open or create a new FreeCAD project and save it.
2) while still having project 1 in the view try to open a new project and FreeCAD takes a dive.

Here the outcome when launched from the commandline:

$ FreeCAD kart/kartLaserExtension.fcstd
FreeCAD 0.18, Libs: 0.18RUnknown
© Juergen Riegel, Werner Mayer, Yorik van Havre 2001-2019
##### #### ### ####
# # # # # #
# ## #### #### # # # # #
#### # # # # # # # ##### # #
# # #### #### # # # # #
# # # # # # # # # ## ## ##
# # #### #### ### # # #### ## ## ##

FreeCAD: src/intel/genxml/gen9_pack.h:72: __gen_uint: Assertion `v <= max' failed.
Aborted (core dumped)

I already looked for similar issues on the interweb, but no find so far.

Does anyone know a solution to this?

----------------------------------------------------------
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.Unknown
Build type: Unknown
Python version: 2.7.15
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 6.9.1.oce-0.18
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: upgrade to freecad 0.18 problem open second project

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi and welcome to FreeCAD.
I don't know specifically about Fedora but I con offer some tips that some have found in Ubuntu and derivatives that might help.

1) do the equivalent of "Apt purge FreeCAD" rather than just "Apt Remove FreeCAD" so have found some old left overs from 0.17 and its add ons have caused an issue.

2) remove all add ons and see if your problems go away

3) on Ubuntu there was once a add-ons repository that if you had previously used cause complications, it installed the add ons to /usr/lib/freecad/Mod/ which causes issues with the new Ubuntu package, this is a Ubuntu specific issue but it is not impossible that Fedora could have a similar issue.

4) The OCC version that your FreeCAD has been compiled with is extremely old, you really want OCC7.3, your version data shows OCE 0.18 which is pretty much equivalent to OCC6.9 and is years out of date. At the very least you will be missing out on some newer features like "de-featuring" and numerous bug fixes.

5) your package has used QT4 and Python2 which should still work but if a QT5 and Python3 version is available for Fedora you should try it. Python 2 is going to be end of life in a few months. But both QT4 and Python2 should still work, I just mean you should try them if they are available.

I hope this helps, if not, no doubt someone will be along soon with some more specific Fedora advice.

Jim

Version: 0.18.1.
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.6.7
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

mattes wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:42 pm src/intel/genxml/gen9_pack.h:72: __gen_uint: Assertion `v <= max' failed.
It's possibly a Mesa or Wayland issue: https://www.forum.freecadweb.org/viewto ... 10#p293337

jmaustpc wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:55 pm The OCC version that your FreeCAD has been compiled with is extremely old, you really want OCC7.3
There is a flatpak package available on Flathub for FreeCAD 0.18.1, it is based on Qt5/Python2 and OCC 7.3.0. Apart from not complying to desktop themes on GNOME, it runs pretty well.

Version: 0.18.14555 (Git shallow) <--- the revision number is wrong, it is really 16110, the hash confirms it
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 0.18.1)
Hash: f7dccfaa909e5b9da26bf50c4a22ccca9bb10c40
Qt version: 5.12.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

NormandC wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:16 am It's possibly a Mesa or Wayland issue: https://www.forum.freecadweb.org/viewto ... 10#p293337
Hi Norm, just a thought, look how very old his coin version is. I wonder if that is related to the problem?
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

mattes wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:42 pm I already looked for similar issues on the interweb, but no find so far.

Does anyone know a solution to this?

----------------------------------------------------------
In this other topic a Debian user had what appears to be the same issue. It seems that after an update on the reporter's computer of libgl1-mesa-glx, the problem went away.

This is a link to the bug that the libgl1-mesa-glx update was to fix (this is Debian)

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=922346

Since Debian seems to have found and fixed a bug, the solution for you should be the same from Fedora. Try and see if you can update libgl1-mesa-glx and if not, best to ask about it at Fedora, give them a link to the Debian bug I linked to above.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

It's very possible. I really cannot fathom how Fedora, which has a much shorter release cycle and shorter cycle life than Ubuntu (AFAIK they don't have LTS releases?), can have so utterly outdated libraries.

Notice that the flatpak I mentioned has a more up-to-date Coin as well as Qt5, I think it's worth a shot.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

NormandC wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:30 am Notice that the flatpak I mentioned has a more up-to-date Coin as well as Qt5, I think it's worth a shot.
I noticed that as well, the only lib in that FlatPack that is old is Python2, but I guess that was deliberate to provide an otherwise up to date Python 2 build?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I'm guessing that the issue may be that Pyside2 (or as its new name "Qt for Python"), required for Python3 and which was only packaged in Debian a few months ago thanks to funding by Aleph Objects (those guys are awesome! They wanted to make sure FreeCAD remained packaged in Debian!), has not been packaged yet in Fedora.
mattes

Post by mattes »

jmaustpc wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:55 pm
1) do the equivalent of "Apt purge FreeCAD" rather than just "Apt Remove FreeCAD" so have found some old left overs from 0.17 and its add ons have caused an issue.

2) remove all add ons and see if your problems go away

3) on Ubuntu there was once a add-ons repository ....

4) The OCC version that your FreeCAD has been compiled with is extremely old ...

5) your package has used QT4 and Python2 which should still work ...
Thanks for all the tips and advice

ran an 'apt purge' which translates to in fedora land to 'dnf remove freecad', (which removed many other rpm dependcies too.)
and removed my .FreeCAD folder completely. It seems I do not have any other freecad addons on my system
Next I reinstalled using 'dnf install freecad'.

outcome: picked up two more workbenches ?techdraw?, but the rest seems still the same version level

Interestingly Fedora 29 includes/supports Python3 and QT5. Not sure why the freecad rpms are build using python2. Same goes probably for the OCE/OCC version.

Should I rather built Freecad from scratch on my machine? I will look into that.

F.Y.I. problem is still the same. What baffles me that this was not an issue with Freecad 0.17.
Here a more simple way to re-create the problem.
- open freecad and create a new part. e.g. cube
- now just click on 'new' and I see FreeCad take a dive

------
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Why haven't you tested the flatpak I suggested?

https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.freecadweb.FreeCAD

mattes wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:12 pm Interestingly Fedora 29 includes/supports Python3 and QT5. Not sure why the freecad rpms are build using python2.
The problem, as I already wrote, is that for FreeCAD to work with Qt5 and Python3, it requires Pyside2, a huge set of libraries which is not yet packaged in Fedora.

mattes wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:12 pm Same goes probably for the OCE/OCC version.
The OCE project is for all intents and purposes dead or at least dormant, has been for years now with new incremental versions still based on the long obsolete OCC 6.9.x. With the license change to LGPL by Open Cascade a few years ago, and its migration to the CMake build system, opencascade was repackaged/reintegrated into Debian a few months ago (but on our own Ubuntu PPA repository, we had switched back to OCCT more than 2 years ago). What's needed is a Fedora packager that will do the same work for Fedora.