Strimmer carburetor insulator

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
openBrain
Veteran

Re: Strimmer carburetor insulator

Post by openBrain »

chrisb wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:20 pm The temperature is something to think about, the data sheets talk about +80° (Celsius I guess!).
Depending on the exact flavor, the manufacturer indicates between +80 and +100 °C at permanent usage, between +100 and +120 °C at peak usage, and a fusion temperature around 135 °C. These are very acceptable performances for a plastic (IMHO).
Also the minimal usage temperature of about -80 °C and the null water absorption provide a good lasting, even for a tool that is stored on a garage or garden shed. :)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I would guess that it will not get hotter than 100°, as I remember from the times driving a 50 ccm aircooled two stroke engine, where the temperature could be checked with a wet finger guessing the time it took to dry on a cylinder...
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
r.tec

Post by r.tec »

I'd suggest using PTFE (i.e. Teflon®....)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

r.tec wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:36 am I'd suggest using PTFE (i.e. Teflon®....)
Sounds very good: Extremely resistant against allmost all chemicals, especially fuel, melting point above 300°, it is used for engine seals with very high heat exposition.
So if it ever breaks, you can go for this.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

PTFE - expensive, no elasticity, vibrations will loosen the screws (ptfe will be sqhashed and will not return to original shape). Just my exterience.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

PTFE seems also clearly over-specified to me. And despite it's definitely better regarding temperature & chemical, I'm not sure its other mechanical properties are better adapted than PEHD (but I'm not an expert). ;)

And at the time the part was done, I had a better real life rational : when a friend of yours is machining it in one of its material scrap for free, considering the proposed material is convenient, just accept it. :lol:
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

openBrain wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:11 amPEHD
I was scratching my head with this acronym until I decided to google it, then I understood: you're using the French acronym, in English (which we're used to here because our tiny French-speaking province is surrounded by English-speaking neighbours, suppliers etc.) it's called HDPE. ;)

Getting the stuff for free is a good reason! As they say, don’t look a gift horse in the mouth. ;)
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

NormandC wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:36 am
openBrain wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:11 amPEHD
I was scratching my head with this acronym until I decided to google it, then I understood: you're using the French acronym,
Ouch. I didn't realize because much material acronyms are english (eg. PEEK). But here as HD (High Density IIRC) is a flavor, indeed french is different from english. Do you think I should edit former posts ?
That makes me think to the UTC acronym where french & english vainely fought a long time to decide between respectively TUC and UCT, to finally choose something that as no meaning in both languages so everybody will be equal... :?
in English (which we're used to here because our tiny French-speaking province is surrounded by English-speaking neighbours, suppliers etc.) it's called HDPE. ;)
Our case is slightly different from yours. Our reasonably big (compared to neighbours) French-speaking state is surrounded by Dutch, French, German, Italian & Spannish speaking people. English speakers are kept safely away by the Channel. What they don't know is that we take occasion of digging the Channel Tunnel to install a bung so we can sink their entire island if needed. :lol: :lol: :lol:
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

chrisb wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:25 pm ... the times driving a 50 ccm aircooled two stroke engine ...
which one?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

bernd wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:35 pm
chrisb wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:25 pm ... the times driving a 50 ccm aircooled two stroke engine ...
which one?
Zündapp and Simson. The latter was stolen twice, and I got it back only once :twisted: .