[SOLVED] Degree Symbol on Dimensions - PR2091 - Opinions?

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wandererfan
Veteran

[SOLVED] Degree Symbol on Dimensions - PR2091 - Opinions?

Post by wandererfan »

PR2091wants to display the degree symbol (°) on angular Dimensions even if "ShowUnits" preference is OFF.

Any opinions on this? Is this standard behaviour in other CAD prgrams? Would an angle without the (°) be mistaken for radians or grads?
Last edited by wandererfan on Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UR_
Veteran

Re: Degree Symbol on Dimensions - PR2091 - Opinions?

Post by UR_ »

Perhaps splitting the preferences is the best solution :?

units.png
units.png (3.34 KiB) Viewed 2410 times
babaroga
Location: Banja Luka, Republic of Srpska, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Post by babaroga »

I am engeneer in furniture industry. All drawings we use are in milimeters. Same is with machinists. Architects use centimeters. We never use units of measure on drawings becouse they are cluttering detail. Also, we never mix dimensions in milimeters and centimeters on same drawing.
Only drawing application I saw so far, that shows UoM by default is Sketchup.

So what if we have situation like this ?
angle dim.png
angle dim.png (13.01 KiB) Viewed 2379 times
Is 45 angle or arc length?

Also, look at this presentation, slide 18, for lecture about practices in drawings. It applies to ISO and JIS.

https://www.slideshare.net/ThinkingYasi ... ng-drawing

According to ISO, DIN, and derivated standards, unit of measure on mechanical drawings are to be ommited. Angular dimensions are followed by "°" (degree) sign.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The 45 at the right is in degrees, the other is a horizontal length.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
danielfalck

Post by danielfalck »

I work in manufacturing (machined parts for semiconductor industry and aerospace) in the US, using imperial units. All drawings that I work with explicitly call out degrees for angular dimensions and that makes sense. In the example above, the dimensions that we think is angular could be construed as a chord length by someone else.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I second danielfalck, I have the same experience with drawings in imperial units. The linear dimension unit may be omitted, but angular dimensions always show the degree symbol.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

Thanks for the input everybody. PR has been merged git commit dde241bb32.

wf
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Re: [SOLVED] Degree Symbol on Dimensions - PR2091 - Opinions?

Post by Jee-Bee »

Maybe 2 options.
- Show linear unit
- show angular unit
NoTrees

Re: [SOLVED] Degree Symbol on Dimensions - PR2091 - Opinions?

Post by NoTrees »

TechDraw.degrees.01.png
TechDraw.degrees.01.png (143.68 KiB) Viewed 2121 times
The purpose of a drawing is to communicate information, e.g. from the engineer/designer to the programmer/tool maker/manufacturer. Given that, it is DESIRED that the information be "clear, concise and unambiguous". Therefore: include the degree symbol.

I encountered this on version 0.18 with TechDraw, and found that one can use the following to 'fix' the issue: use the Format Spec and Arbitrary fields as follows:
Format Spec: allowing the default value (%.2f), it displays: "92.31°"

To display "92°", (desired angular measure PLUS the degree symbol!!) one must enter the desired value, then add the ASCII sequence to get the degree symbol, which is <alt>248. Then the "Arbitrary" value must be set to "true".

I'm really excited that this works, but in all due respect, it 'should be' an inherent function, no??
https://forum.freecadweb.org/download/f ... w&id=89562

in the image, there are three examples of using TechDraw's dimensioning:
a. 81.00°, this is the default (Format Spec value: %.2f, and Arbitrary set to 'false') and was fortunate that the 'picked points' resulted in 81.00°
b. 106.31°, this also is the result of defaults as in (a.), but it shows that the 'picked points' result is not what I want to show, which is "106.00°"
c. 92°(plus tolerance) this conveys the desired information. when using the 'picked points' and default, it would be 92.31°, but I want what it shows, and this was the result when I entered my desired result in FormatSpec, using ASCII <alt>248 to get the degree symbol, and Arbitrary is True.