ARCH Section and Techdraw ArchView not clipping

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
elsordo

ARCH Section and Techdraw ArchView not clipping

Post by elsordo »

How does one go about clipping an ARCH Section within a Techdraw ArchView.

I created an ARCH Section that includes a lot of objects but with a height and length that effectually clips the included objects.

When I add the ARCH section to a Techdraw ArchView, the height and length properties of the Arch Section are ignored and the ArchView displays the entirety of the objects included in the Arch Section.

Is this expected behavior? I thought that that the Arch Section also functioned as a "clipping" mechanism.

-David

My Freecad installation information is

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.1.
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.6.7
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
vocx
Veteran

Re: ARCH Section and Techdraw ArchView not clipping

Post by vocx »

elsordo wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:33 am How does one go about clipping an ARCH Section within a Techdraw ArchView.

I created an ARCH Section that includes a lot of objects but with a height and length that effectually clips the included objects.

When I add the ARCH section to a Techdraw ArchView, the height and length properties of the Arch Section are ignored and the ArchView displays the entirety of the objects included in the Arch Section.

Is this expected behavior? I thought that that the Arch Section also functioned as a "clipping" mechanism.
You should provide a picture as your question isn't very clear.

Which properties? The Display Height, and Display Length? These properties of the Arch SectionPlane only control the appearance of the plane in the 3D viewport, but do not affect the way the objects are seen by the plane. A plane is infinite in area, so it will see everything in the entire model, as long as it is included in its Objects property (double click on the plane in the tree view).

Objects have two types of properties, "View properties", and "Data properties". View properties only affect how the object is shown to you in the 3D viewport, but they don't control the "contents" of the actual object. Only the data properties will determine how the object is interacting with other objects in the document.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
elsordo

Post by elsordo »

vocx,

I have attached an image showing the 3d model and an image showing the techdraw page.

As you can see, the techdraw image is show more objects that what are selected by the ARCH Section view port.

-David
Attachments
Screenshot from 2019-04-22 23-12-40.png
Screenshot from 2019-04-22 23-12-40.png (283.08 KiB) Viewed 1189 times
Screenshot from 2019-04-22 23-09-43.png
Screenshot from 2019-04-22 23-09-43.png (288.79 KiB) Viewed 1189 times
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

elsordo wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:20 am As you can see, the techdraw image is show more objects that what are selected by the ARCH Section view port.
Your image doesn't show what is "selected" by the Arch SectionPlane.

Double click on the Section object in the three view, or see what is in the Objects property under the Data tab. If all elements in the model are part of the Objects property, then all those elements will be shown in the TechDraw page.

An Arch SectionPlane is an infinite plane, that is, it extends to the infinite in both directions X and Z. It is not a camera view with a limited field of view, like in Blender.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
elsordo

Post by elsordo »

I have attached a picture of the dialog box for editing an ARCH Section. As you can see, it contains most of the model. I tried to include the model (FCSTD file) but it is too large.

However, you did answer the question as to why clipping does not occur -
An Arch SectionPlane is an infinite plane, that is, it extends to the infinite in both directions X and Z. It is not a camera view with a limited field of view, like in Blender.
So, I have the following questions:

1. Is there a way to accomplish clipping? I was hoping to avoid presentation-dependent-modeling.

2. What is the purpose of the "Display Height", "Display Length", "Cut Distance", "Cut Margin", and "Cut View" properties of the Arch Section view tab?

-David
Attachments
Screenshot from 2019-04-23 16-03-53.png
Screenshot from 2019-04-23 16-03-53.png (258 KiB) Viewed 1155 times
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

elsordo wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:17 pm 1. Is there a way to accomplish clipping? I was hoping to avoid presentation-dependent-modeling.
Arch objects are solid shapes, so they can be selected and TechDraw NewView can be used on them. Then TechDraw NewSection and TechDraw Clip can be used on the created view.
2. What is the purpose of the "Display Height", "Display Length", "Cut Distance", "Cut Margin", and "Cut View" properties of the Arch Section view tab?
As I said, those are properties that affect only the way the plane is presented in the 3D viewport. They don't affect the contents.

Height and Length indicate how big the plane should be seen; the plane is always infinite in size, but it has to be displayed at a certain finite size.

Cut Distance currently doesn't do anything (programmer's fault).

Cut View indicates if the objects that cross the plane are cut by that plane. You need an Arch SectionPlane that is crossing through an object to see its effects. Cut Margin indicates the normal distance from the plane, from which the cut is actually made. It is a small value, 1 mm, indicating that the objects are cut 1 mm away from the plane, basically at the position of the plane.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

elsordo wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:33 am How does one go about clipping an ARCH Section within a Techdraw ArchView.
I haven't tried it yet, but you could try putting the ArchView inside a TechDraw_Clip.