[blog] DeepSOIC explores realthunder's LinkStage3+Assembly3

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
DeepSOIC
Veteran

[blog] DeepSOIC explores realthunder's LinkStage3+Assembly3

Post by DeepSOIC »

Hi! and finally, I began exploring realthunder's fork.

First impression - it's just crazy amount of work!

I thought, there were two revolutions:
1. Link + XLink + partial loading + new selection functionality
2. Toponaming
Now it turns out, there is another big big thing there:
3. Expressions
Turns out, realthunder essentially wrote a python interpreter :shock: :o :shock: :? :!:
And now we have a scripting language for expressions, which is limited, but quite powerful. I am yet to discover its true power and limitations, but so far, it looks incredible for power users, and probably a big trouble for main developers and basic users (the "security" issue).
I have my doubts of anyone being able to ever review this much code.

---Questions I feel like I'm ready to ask.---
(I actually have many many more questions, but they are probably not worth asking)

Why does Sketcher Export thing use PropertyStringList, not App::PropertyLinkSomethingSomething?

<DocumentObject>.getPaths(): throws NotImplementedError… why is it there, then?

How to create a ?shapebinder? for an assembled object, so as to make screw holes or slots or something like that? - use "green" shapebinder button on PD workbench... does it belong there, shouldn't it be in asm3 workbench?

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.15841 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: <I downloaded realthunder's release 0.9.1>
Hash: 362441873b984a4f169fd430f989aee1016a337e
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: Russian/RussianFederation (ru_RU)
fosselius

Re: [blog] DeepSOIC explores realthunder's LinkStage3+Assembly3

Post by fosselius »

if you start going through it commit by commit you will see that there are great/big improvements all over the code base. isolating/cherry picking for a merge makes me sad as so much improvements will be left out. I rather see realthunder spend his time on rebasing against master.

but yea, as you stated, there might be a few design decisions that needs to be reviewed and accepted/reworked. But those will be long and potentially infected discussions and therefor i would like to have them after a complete merge, because that would force progress. now we will just discuss details to no end and nothing will ever get merged.
Mark Szlazak

Post by Mark Szlazak »

fosselius wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:11 am if you start going through it commit by commit you will see that there are great/big improvements all over the code base. isolating/cherry picking for a merge makes me sad as so much improvements will be left out. I rather see realthunder spend his time on rebasing against master.

but yea, as you stated, there might be a few design decisions that needs to be reviewed and accepted/reworked. But those will be long and potentially infected discussions and therefor i would like to have them after a complete merge, because that would force progress. now we will just discuss details to no end and nothing will ever get merged.
Ah yes, life in committee meetings. :lol:

Let the master paint his masterpiece with some more subtle help along the way.
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

DeepSOIC wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:40 pmI actually have many many more questions, but they are probably not worth asking
The only dumb question is the one not asked. Out with it, most readers will not know a fraction of what you know, lets educate them with some Q&A.