Topic hijacked, I'm no longer interested in trying to maintain it

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
TimCC

Re: Status of FreeCAD 0.18 Release

Post by TimCC »

could you give me a link to that location? I'm a CAD guy, I'm completely lost in the programming world.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Sorry I forgot the link (it's still in the clipboard): https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.19_pre.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
TimCC

Post by TimCC »

thank you Chris, I'm downloading it now
Last edited by TimCC on Thu May 02, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

By some reason it is hidden by default:
Assets.JPG
Assets.JPG (129.53 KiB) Viewed 2074 times
TimCC

Post by TimCC »

thanks!
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

vocx wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:26 pm The software is split into common packages, and packages specific to your Python version. Remove everything, then install only these packages

Code: Select all

sudo apt install freecad-common
sudo apt install freecad-runtime
sudo apt install freecad-python3
sudo apt install libfreecad-python3-0.18
Vocx, could you be more specific about which ppa and distribution you used to get this to work. I've tried ppa:freecad-maintainers/freecad-stable and ppa:freecad-maintainers/freecad-daily with xenial and trusty and the python 3 stuff is not found.

NormandC wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:21 am There is no need to remove existing packages, unless the update failed somehow. freecad-python2 and libfreecad-python2-0.18 can cohabit with their Py3 counterpart. I think it's still useful to keep both.

To switch from one to the other:

Code: Select all

sudo update-alternatives --config freecad
This will be nice, but it currently gives me
"There is only one alternative in link group freecad (providing /usr/bin/freecad): /usr/lib/freecad/bin/freecad-python2
Nothing to configure."

kkremitzki just pointed out on https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 28#p305429 than
kkremitzki wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:16 pm Trusty is EOL and Xenial's version of Qt is too old to support Python 3 builds for us.
so I don't see how you got the apt install to work?
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

If you want the Python 3 version then you need to use Ubuntu 18.04 or newer.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

PaulG wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:51 pm Vocx, could you be more specific about which ppa and distribution you used to get this to work. I've tried ppa:freecad-maintainers/freecad-stable and ppa:freecad-maintainers/freecad-daily with xenial and trusty and the python 3 stuff is not found.
Trusty(14.04) is EOL
Xenial(16.04) is only PY2/QT4
Even for 18.04+ Kurt had to port some stuff from Debian to Ubuntu
See Here:https://launchpad.net/~freecad-maintain ... cad-stable

EDIT: Kurt was faster ;)
"fight the good fight"
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Ok, got it. Thanks to all.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

PaulG wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:51 pm Vocx, could you be more specific about which ppa and distribution you used to get this to work. I've tried ppa:freecad-maintainers/freecad-stable and ppa:freecad-maintainers/freecad-daily with xenial and trusty and the python 3 stuff is not found.
Please, please, please, avoid as much as possible the code names of the software (Trusty, Xenial, etc.). I know the name when the new distribution is released, but after 6 months I completely forget which imaginary animal was used by Ubuntu this time. Actually, after 10 years of using Ubuntu I don't even learn the names any more. For me it's just 16.04, 18.04, 20.04, etc. Using the code names was cute at the beginning, but really, who cares anymore?

If you are going to mention the names at least refer to them in parentheses like this
sgrogan wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:06 pm Trusty(14.04) is EOL
Xenial(16.04) is only PY2/QT4
Even for 18.04+ Kurt had to port some stuff from Debian to Ubuntu
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.